Why become a member? ×

Spectracomp

M@23

22 hours ago, pete.young said:

Still scratching my head over the M87 comment - you must have had a dud, mine is completely silent.

I'd say the Keeley to go for is not the Bassist, but the Keeley Pro.

I'm pretty sure it was a bad one. It wasn't even just noise with heavy compression. It was just a noisy pedal. I'm tempted to give another a try though. They get rave reviews and reading Onvilabs, it seems there was a bad batch. 

Had an interesting one today, I have recently swapped the valves in my OTB head and was at the first proper rehearsal since. The new valves are AT7s instead of AX7s. From the off the sound was terrible, very flat, no body or energy. I messed about with a few controls but no luck. Then I noticed that the Spectracomp knob had been knocked and was at 4 o’clock instead of its usual 9 o’clock. One quick turn and the full body sound was back. The new valves have given the extra clean headroom I wanted but I was surprised how much the Spectracomp seems to ‘clean’ the signal and affect the performance of the amp.

On 18/06/2018 at 20:32, T-Bay said:

Had an interesting one today, I have recently swapped the valves in my OTB head and was at the first proper rehearsal since. The new valves are AT7s instead of AX7s. From the off the sound was terrible, very flat, no body or energy. I messed about with a few controls but no luck. Then I noticed that the Spectracomp knob had been knocked and was at 4 o’clock instead of its usual 9 o’clock. One quick turn and the full body sound was back. The new valves have given the extra clean headroom I wanted but I was surprised how much the Spectracomp seems to ‘clean’ the signal and affect the performance of the amp.

That's interesting. Which Tone print are you using? I've still not picked a Spectracomp up, as I've been contemplating other units. But, at the price that are, I've decided to get one, regardless. 

3 hours ago, M@23 said:

That's interesting. Which Tone print are you using? I've still not picked a Spectracomp up, as I've been contemplating other units. But, at the price that are, I've decided to get one, regardless. 

This will sound really stupid but I don’t know. I bought it off here and the guy couldn’t remember which he had set it to. It was perfect out the box o I haven’t dared mess around with it in case it was one of his own making and I can’t get it back. The one way nature of the TC toneprint is their only major flaw.

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

This will sound really stupid but I don’t know. I bought it off here and the guy couldn’t remember which he had set it to. It was perfect out the box o I haven’t dared mess around with it in case it was one of his own making and I can’t get it back. The one way nature of the TC toneprint is their only major flaw.

That is a pain and will be fixed when they finally release the new mobile app. 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2018 at 16:16, T-Bay said:

On 20/06/2018 at 17:22, Quatschmacher said:

That is a pain and will be fixed when they finally release the new mobile app. 

I would also love an option to backup to cloud too. That would be great. I lost some amazing patches when I had to format my iPad. Totally forgot that they would be wiped out. 

Morning All, 

I've just received my SpectraComp and have started to have a look through the various TonePrints available to find a couple of base configurations I like. 

From various BC and TB threads the Captain East and the Smooth & Funky Toneprints seem to be very popular and I intend to start there.    However do any of you folks have recommendations for TonePrints that may suit the bands I currently play with which would also be worth a look - I haven't got time ahead of my next rehearsals to work through every single TonePrint available:

• Band 1; your Typical Classic Rock and Pop covers band, in which I play the majority of songs with fingers.
  • Band 2; Modern and alternative rock in which I play the majority of songs using a pick

Thanks