Why become a member? ×

Should I get Lessons?

lateralus462

I seem to have hit a real brick wall with my playing lately - I'm more than happy with how I play in terms of my band but I seem to finding it increasingly difficult to advance my playing, especially with Slap. I've been looking at a fair bit of theory recently - I used to play Piano and Saxophone and my theory knowledge/sight reading used to be quite good, but I've never really applied any of that knowledge to the bass.

I've been thinking about getting some lessons to see if that helps.

Also does anyone know any good bass teachers in the Reading/Maidenhead areas of Berkshire?

Edited by lateralus462

Education of quality is never wasted,bad tutors f*** you up,and can send you down dead ends...sounds as if you need a creative injection.

A simple idea is just stop playing for 2 weeks...it helps,and drives you nuts,your mind gets all itchy,and you go riffola after a break,I stopped for a month,and it was brilliant.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='336135' date='Nov 25 2008, 11:43 AM']OP: I take your general point but is playing "slap" actually going to 'advance your training?'
It's just one of a number of techniques which unless you play in a funk band, hang about Bass shops or go to Bass days(!) has limited use IMHO :)[/quote]

I actually get your point completely -it's more my general playing I'd like to improve - That said I would like to get better at playing slap as well. It's always fun to show off :huh:

Edited by lateralus462

[quote name='YouMa' post='336158' date='Nov 25 2008, 12:14 PM']Drop your bass for a couple of months and play 6 string guitar especialy lead/funky rythm parts,i can almost guarantee this will work.Good luck.[/quote]

I play guitar a lot of the time anyway - I don't really see how this will work with bass technique though?

[quote name='lateralus462' post='336161' date='Nov 25 2008, 12:20 PM']I play guitar a lot of the time anyway - I don't really see how this will work with bass technique though?[/quote]

Then you're clearly not playing enough drums at the moment.

(Yes, get a teacher. As for slap, it's easy, fun, overrated and the only reason people think I'm any good. Go for it.)

[quote name='lateralus462' post='336749' date='Nov 25 2008, 11:14 PM']I've had a look and I there are a couple of guys near me who teach - I have no Idea whether they're any good or not though. How do you find out whether a teacher is any good?[/quote]

Watch them live and then beg them to teach you if they blow your mind.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='336749' date='Nov 25 2008, 11:14 PM']I've had a look and I there are a couple of guys near me who teach - I have no Idea whether they're any good or not though. How do you find out whether a teacher is any good?[/quote]

Think about what makes a good teacher in any subject. For me, key skills are the ability to communicate ideas with ease, patience and the ability to motivate and inspire. This is in addition to qualifications (i.e. Grade 8, degree, etc). Remember, great players does not mean great teachers. At uni, I had lecturers who were at the forefront of their respective scientific fields and were professors for many years and wrote fantastic books. They were [i]terrible[/i] "teachers".

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='336135' date='Nov 25 2008, 11:43 AM']OP: I take your general point but is playing "slap" actually going to 'advance your training?'
It's just one of a number of techniques which unless you play in a funk band, hang about Bass shops or go to Bass days(!) has limited use IMHO :)[/quote]

IMO, slap bass is a bit like martial arts....... :huh:

learn it.....

but don`t use it unless you have to..... :huh:

[quote name='uptonmark' post='337032' date='Nov 26 2008, 10:09 AM']IMO, slap bass is a bit like martial arts.......
learn it.....
but don`t use it unless you have to.....[/quote]
.... don't use it unless you're cornered and your life depends on it!!!

Maybe you need to get into different genres. Would Jazz broaden your horizons and stretch you?

Tbh I'm in to most things (musically anyway) - I used to play a LOT of Jazz when I played the Sax. It's more developing my technique and knowledge of theory I'm after really - and reading - I used to be OK at sight reading on both the Piano and Sax but I've never applied that to the bass. I think I kind of feel I've come as far as I can trying to work things out for myself and need a bit of guidance, if that makes any sense?