doonaboon

SOLD - Maruszczyk Elwood 5a
£800

DSC06784.thumb.JPG.767728ed22cb9aa49befd0e230c031a4.JPG

Excellent condition Maruszczyk Elwood 5a with the following specs:

Ash body in Red Satin finish (hard to capture in photo, it's a 'dark red') with matching headstock

21 Frets plus Zero fret, Rosewood fingerboard with blocks / binding, 34" scale with 19mm string spacing at bridge

Häussel JJ pickups, Delano 2-band active preamp (switchable via push-pull to passive mode)

Weight: 4.45kg (according to digital scales)

Bass has had a full setup from Jack's in Manchester, plays and sounds great.

Really great bass in cracking condition. Only selling as I don't play 5's that often (and my ACG is my go to) which means that this has been gathering dust of late.

Priced at £800 £750 including Hard Case and postage. No trade offers please!

NOW SOLD

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by doonaboon
sold
  • Like 1

Nice - very similar to mine, main difference being the fretboard wood.

• Thanks 1

I owned an Elwood exactly the same, but with a maple fretboard.(Wilco, i shouldn't have let it go now I think). :dash1: These instruments are the real deal. 

Edited by bubinga5

6 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

I owned an Elwood exactly the same, but with a maple fretboard.(Wilco, i shouldn't have let it go now I think). :dash1: These instruments are the real deal. 

Fair to say I have had absolutely no desire to move it on since I bought it from you Andrew!! I did change out the Bartolini's back to Delano's though as I needed a bit more 'bite' for the music I play.

I was so impressed by it, a few months later I bought another direct from Adrian!!

This is very, very tempting, I've just had some successful sales of other equipment, but I'm not sure if I need a third Maruszczyk 🤔. I think my missus would hit me around the head with it if I came home with another bass... 😅

• Like 1

A small update with some extra info (from PM questions) which I thought I'd share.

Strings are DR Fat Beams 45-125, barely played.

A quick sound sample to show how 'noiseless' the single coil pickups are on their own - this is a straight-up 'into an interface' recording in four parts with me changing settings between bits, all with flat EQ: Neck Active, Neck Passive, Bridge Active, Bridge Passive. Did this very quickly so playing is a bit rough and could use some compression but I think it shows the nice 'woody' resonant raw tone. Also, how quiet the switching and pots are... elwood1.mp3

And the included hard case is a Gator ABS job in brand new condition (still has barcode tag on handle!), see pics below:

20180514_105603.thumb.jpg.2039b9175c31a9e1758c60855b76d6fb.jpg20180514_105503.thumb.jpg.5a2eb5311ff8ef2728e6685bb73029c0.jpg

Any further q's, let me know!

Thanks,

Dan

A couple of PM enquiries but still here - price drop to £750 inc. Case and P&P if that helps.

£700 without case and collected from Nottingham is also an option.

I wish someone would hurry up and get this off the board... just the look of it makes me love my Elwood L5 less.>:(

• Haha 1

I'm thinking the exact same thing, NickD. It's really bothering me this being on here lol. I'll be glad when it has a buyer. Maruszczyk basses should be selling up like hot cakes. 

• Like 1

That is really lovely! Is the back pickup in the 70's position?

• Thanks 1

Thanks Lee!

Have just had a quick measure as I wasn't sure of pickup placement - the gap between pole piece centres is 3.8mm. Given that (I think) the measurement for '60's position' is 3.6mm and '70's position' is 4mm, that puts it smack in the middle I reckon. That does seem to tally with my experience of the passive tone of the bass (although I think it gets a bit academic once active EQ is involved IMO).

Here's a bit more noodling I recorded to help answer a PM question about B string definition and balance  (recorded straight with no compression, flat EQ, 50% blend of pickups). This should give some idea of the 'standard' tone of the bass: elwood2.mp3

Thanks,

Dan

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By deanovw
      I am selling this P/J Jazz bass with EMG electronics.
      I have over £800 in materials invested in this bass so I am selling it at a loss. I just want to move it on so that I can start on the next builds I have planned.
      The the body and the neck are painted in nitrocellulose from a rattle can. The finish on the body is not 100% perfect and there are a few tiny rub throughs of the black. Perfect for a relic finish if you are into that kind of thing.
      Hardware is:
      The body was bought new from pcguitars on ebay USA. It was an unfinished Alder P/J Jazz body that fits Fender necks P250
      The neck is of unkown origin. The flame in the maple is lovely.
      38mm nut.
      Tuners - lightweight hipshot - Black
      Pick ups - Kent Armstrong J and P pickups
      Electrics - EMG Active - One volume per pickup. EMG BTS Control, 2-Band EQ for bass guitar, features broader single-pole filters. High and Bass +/- 12 db, 4 selectable frequencies for the treble control (2100, 3500, 4500, 7000 Hz
      Bridge  - Goto - Black
      Weight on my not very accurate bathroom scales = 3.7kg
      Gig Bag included
      Any questions please ask.
      Location is Exeter. I would rather not post as I don't have a hard case for it. Happy to meet up (safely) within reasonable distance.

• By hestan
      ******£900 plus postage********   I’m selling my stunning Overwater J-Series 4 str fretless.   SPECS:   34" scale 4.4 kg Controls: Volume, Pickup blend, and 3 way Overwater Tone control (bass thick outer ring, mids top ring, then pull out top ring for top end)   It’s an incredible bass, I had custom built for me by Overwater in 2005, with translucent blue quilted maple finish and ebony fretboard.  It sounds amazing: i've rarely played any fretless that sings like  this one, without the harsh zingy sound of some cheaper brands.   I used the bass on the West End show Stephen Ward cast recording in 2013, as well on the show itself (for 5 months), but otherwise it stayed in the studio.   It does have a few dings from the 5 months I mentioned in the tiny Orchestra pit at the Aldwych (quick bass changeovers) but luckily they’re mainly on the back and sides.  (I've highlighted them in the photos.)  If you're a collector looking for a perfect instrument to hang as a decoration, the dings on the back might put you off but if you're a player looking for an exceptional, singing fretless with incredible tone/playability and a stunning finish, this will blow your mind!   Brand new to build they're about £2750-2800, i’m asking £950 plus postage.   I've included a recording of the bass, a cover of a Nick Drake tune called 'From the morning' Jaco/Joni style, a good example of the DI tone.   I'm also throwing in a soft case from Overwater (missing a small buckle on the top pocket)   J

nick drake fretless demo 2.mp3
    • By police squad
      I have decided, after much thought, to finally let my Fender Flea bass go. I bought it four years ago, gigged it a lot for the next couple of years, you can see the wear from where my wrist rested on the upper bit.
      Also the paint is wearing through to the primer along the top edge but it's very hard to see. I have also changed one grub screw in the bottom E saddle as it had rusted up . I have the original grub screw too.
      There is the original gig bag and case candy
      Those that have these, know what a great sound comes from them. The 1964 pickups really sound ace. That jazz bass 'fizz' from the neck pickup, the honk from the bridge.
      It sits in my office, waiting for me to have a noodle on it at lunchtimes, it's been great to play at work. Nice and light too at 3.9kg or 8 pounds and 8 ounces, measured on my digital works scales.
      But in all realities I'm just not going to use it anymore unless I turn it into a Sting Jazz (which I'm not)
      I am just a P bass fan. 
      I can ship (UK only) via DPD courier, you can collect , have a cuppa and a natter all things bass
      I work in Folkestone, Kent and live in Deal.
      Any questions, fire away
      I'm not looking for any trades, I'm just trying to thin the herd

• By such
      PRICE DROPPED: £940

For sale is my Fender Marcus Miller signature Jazz Bass. I bought it on BassChat in around 2012; not sure when exactly or who from, since the messages are gone. It had been upgraded by the previous owner with a Sadowsky VTC preamp and Hipshot D-Tuner in matching reverse/nickel. You can say "modded, not upgraded" but I think it's hard to disagree these are legitimate upgrades. The VTC feature itself makes so much difference, the tone control being functional in both passive and active modes allows for some superb tones. Like, cutting most highs with the tone control while boosting treble with the active knob (which is centered somewhat lower, freq-wise) when on bridge pickup soloed, gets you that dark but focused and super spiky tone of electric jazz/fusion virtuoso. 
      Then of course you get a superb slap tone, clean and classic jazz bass sounds and everything you can reasonably expect from a bass of this format. It's bright, punchy, meaty, growly, snappy, airy, open, clear and big. 
      The bass is super playable. When I bought it, the nut was a tiny bit high, I found, so I got Andrew from Anaconda Basses (they weren't really a thing yet then, about to launch) to make me a brass one. It improved playability and effortlessness in lower registers, open string sound and sustain (possibly) and harmonics (audibly). 
      It's as good a jazz bass as you'll get, if you're into this sort of thing. 
      I recall checking the serial number once, and the result said 2007-2010. Also, I think it weighed at 4.1kg, will edit if I remember wrong. It's fairly light and very well balanced. The battery keeps forever. I changed it recently after more than 2 years. It was still going strong, just messed with my inner comfort. 
      Unfortunately, I seem to have inherited arthritic tendencies, so combined with my long fingers, I can't really play a jazz neck anymore. I've commissioned a build of a bass based in some ways on this one, and it will also be funded by this sale - therefore no trades, I'm afraid. 
      I'm willing to post, will need to figure it out though. I will change strings to brand new D'Addario XL steels or nickels (buyer's choice) in 45-105. 

• By Marc S
      PRICE: £750 (original control plate only)
      I can't believe I'm doing this, as I'm a fan of the RW series... but I need to thin the herd (I've just got too many).
      FOR SALE ONLY is my superb Fender Roadworn Jazz bass. It's one of the earlier models to be available. I played a new one in a shop recently, in rather fetching Fiesta Red, and it didn't feel half as nice as this one.

Those in the know, will appreciate just how good these basses are. They feel "worn-in" and well played, and look and sound the business. I weighed it on some accurate digital scales, and it's around 3.8 - 3.9 Kgs - which is very light for a Jazz. I fitted a Kiogon Stacked control wiring loom and added a Brass earth strip, for that added touch of 60's vibe. I grew to really like the added option of a tone control on each pickup. The price includes the original control plate too - but I'm willing to drop my asking price a bit, if you only want the original control plate.

Collection only please, I'm in South Wales. I always prefer to let the buyer try before buying, and make sure everyone's happy, and I prefer not to trust couriering expensive instruments.
      I'm happy to meet halfway somewhere - I've got a battery amp, so you can test the bass.
      Absolutely no trades at all (unless you have a Wingbass) - as I say, I need to thin the herd, sadly 

It's currently fitted with Flatwound strings - "Flats on a Jazz?" I hear you say  I can let you have a nearly new set of Rotosound rounds, if that's your preference - I fitted them for a couple of weeks and then tried flats on the bass, and grew to like it that way  
      EDIT: Now with Original Control plate ONLY - someone wanted the Stacked Control plate separately.