Why become a member? ×

I just don't know how to love him

bluesparky

Whilst randomly having Radio 2 on t'other day (couldn't get Radio 5 for some reason) Mr Wogan played the above song from Jesus Christ Superstar.
My ears pricked up 'cos it's a simple song, i think it just had acoustic guitar and bass, but the bassline bubbled and flowed along.
I'm not normally a fan of the Lloyd Webber back catalogue, but it was a pleasant surprise to hear this, with it's bouncy bassline which was almost a song on it's own, yet didn't interfere with the vocals.
Certainly a song i wouldn't normally like, but the bassline certainly changed that, to the point where i ended up buying it on line.

Anyone else know of a suitably embarrassing song which has a cool bassline in the background which prompts a surprise visit to i-tunes store?

Another song i like with a similar busy, yet perfect for the song bass line is "what i am" by Edie Brickell. Great song.

[quote name='OldGit' post='334432' date='Nov 22 2008, 02:48 PM'][gtrits teeth] Lady in Red, Pino's genius almost eradicates the sight of those eyebrows [ungrits teeth]
[/quote]

F**k, that man is so ugly...
So ugly infact, the You tube clip looks like something from Spitting images.
Just as well Pino saved the day.

Garry

[quote name='bluesparky' post='334285' date='Nov 22 2008, 10:49 AM']Whilst randomly having Radio 2 on t'other day (couldn't get Radio 5 for some reason) Mr Wogan played the above song from Jesus Christ Superstar.
My ears pricked up 'cos it's a simple song, i think it just had acoustic guitar and bass, but the bassline bubbled and flowed along.
I'm not normally a fan of the Lloyd Webber back catalogue, but it was a pleasant surprise to hear this, with it's bouncy bassline which was almost a song on it's own, yet didn't interfere with the vocals.
Certainly a song i wouldn't normally like, but the bassline certainly changed that, to the point where i ended up buying it on line.[/quote]
Sadly he's no longer with us, but the bass on the Jesus Christ Superstar album is played by the amazing Alan Spenner, of the Grease Band and Kokomo fame.

Interestingly (or maybe not) that original recording of JCS also features Jon 'Gus' Gustaffson in a singing only role but he's actually better known as a bass player (Love Is The Drug anyone?). Gus also worked with Ian Gillan for a while, who just happens to be singing the lead role on that recording. The bass work by Spenner is top notch all the way through (assuming it's him on all tracks) and reminds me of J Jamieson in places.