Why become a member? ×

Anybody played a Aria Libra Bass

markdavid

Seen one for sale near me for what I think is quite a good price , has anybody played one? , are they any good? Looked on the net for more info but could not find any. This is the only picture I could find of one [url="http://www.adverts.ie/showfull.php?product=44902&bigimage=stand.jpg"]Aria Libra Picture[/url]

These were nothing special. Aria Pro II were producing the Libra (LBB Series) at the same time as the CTB Series and PRB Series, making the LLB 88-89. All three of these lines went out of production late 89. There were three models in the LLB Series - Standard, Deluxe and Custom. I should have the printed catalogue somewhere, to remind myself as to specifications. To be honest - from memory - there were better APII models from the mid and late 80s. The LLB Series suffers a bit based on it's very 80s styling. (Personally I don't like the hair metal inspired headstock.) What’s a very good price?

[quote name='noelk27' post='334190' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:26 AM']These were nothing special. Aria Pro II were producing the Libra (LBB Series) at the same time as the CTB Series and PRB Series, making the LLB 88-89. All three of these lines went out of production late 89. There were three models in the LLB Series - Standard, Deluxe and Custom. I should have the printed catalogue somewhere, to remind myself as to specifications. To be honest - from memory - there were better APII models from the mid and late 80s. The LLB Series suffers a bit based on it's very 80s styling. (Personally I don't like the hair metal inspired headstock.) What’s a very good price?[/quote]

Ive been offered one for £100 , its the Aria Libra LLB-DLX , I take it thats the deluxe model?

[quote name='markdavid' post='334218' date='Nov 22 2008, 01:45 AM']Ive been offered one for £100 , its the Aria Libra LLB-DLX , I take it thats the deluxe model?[/quote]

Yes, it is. And for one that's in solid condition, with no issues, that's a reasonable price. If I was you though, I'd still do a little haggling.

[quote name='Geek99' post='334804' date='Nov 23 2008, 12:06 PM']it is a bit 80's looking for my taste :) I did have an Aria Magna, which was a lovely bass.[/quote]

The Magna (MAB) Series debuted in 90, remaining in production until 94. There were some nine models, as well as a few APCS versions - either two or three, I can't quite remember.

[quote name='MB1' post='334330' date='Nov 22 2008, 11:52 AM']MB1. :huh:
Pisces man myself!....Sorry!.....I'll get me Coat!.[/quote]

I was thinking of a joke along the same lines, but then i realised i am a libra :)

besides, you've already made that joke so it wouldnt be funny anyway.

[quote name='Geek99' post='335748' date='Nov 24 2008, 07:08 PM']MAB-20 I think - if its the same one. I regret selling it now[/quote]

There were three Magna 5-strings - MAB-20/5, MAB-60/5 and an APCS, MAB-015/5. There were six Avante 5-strings - AVB-45/5, AVB-85/5, AVB-TN5, AVB-SN5 and two APCS, AVB-015 and AVB-025.

[quote name='metaltime' post='337401' date='Nov 26 2008, 04:19 PM']what does APCS stand for?[/quote]

APCS is Aria Pro Custom Shop. APSC produce limited run signature models, limited run reissues, and unique models - such as a headless SB in 93 (SB-034). SB-034 was also midi loaded.

[quote name='metaltime' post='337602' date='Nov 26 2008, 07:29 PM']cool thanks. Mine just says aria pro 2 magna series it has no mab??. Is mine just an early one or were they all like this it has p/j pickups its passive and has a maple fingerboard.[/quote]

The headstock will just say Magna Series. The trussrod coverplate should tell you the model number.

[quote name='metaltime' post='337656' date='Nov 26 2008, 08:13 PM']my trussrod cover says nothing either maybe just wore away.[/quote]

Possible. It's an MAB-20, and based on the letter code I'd guess between 94 and 96. The MAB-20 was the one model from the series that remained in production beyond the end of the series - if that makes sense. In fact, it came back as the MAB-09 between 99 and 02. The printed lettering on the pickups has weathered well. That it's a lefty is also quite unusual. An MAB-40 (which is active) would sell for something over £100, up to about £150. I'd hope this could get close to £100 based on it being a lefty.

cool thanks a lot Noel thats helpful to know. I think the lettering is in good condition on the pickups because the guy i got it off was clearly a pick player there is scratches from his strumming all over it.

Sorry to OP for the hijack

I really like this bass tho its got a really nice neck.

Edited by metaltime