Why become a member? ×

Advice please: Spector Spectorcore or Legend Classic Fretless

anzoid

Looking at getting a fretless (again). My current hit list is Ibanez Portamento SRF700 or something Spector. On the Spector front there's the Spectorcore with piezo and EMG HZ pickup or the Legend Classic with two SSD humbuckers. Both are lined fretless and have a 38mm nut, which is what I'm looking for in a 4-string. Not interested in 5-strings.

So, any opinions on the Spectorcore compared with the Legend Classic? Pros and cons of either would be welcome - what you like and what you don't like :)

Edited by anzoid

I'm sure the Legend is a good bass, but the semi-hollow body, pickup placement, and piezo in the bridge are just perfect for smooth fretless mwah.  That said, if you like burpy bridge pickup fretless tones then the Legend might be a better choice.

I'm primarily a fretless player and I'd go Spectorcore every time over the Legend. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, walbassist said:

I'm sure the Legend is a good bass, but the semi-hollow body, pickup placement, and piezo in the bridge are just perfect for smooth fretless mwah.  That said, if you like burpy bridge pickup fretless tones then the Legend might be a better choice.

You had me at "burpy bridge"... :D That's the kind of tone I'm looking for. "smooth mwah" sounds like it might be a bit too tame.

I ha e a Spectorcore 5 fretless and it is superb for the money. Ebony board, Fishman Piezo plus the EMG ( now replaced by a Bartolini I believe) and a modest weight. If I have a criticism it’s that on the 5 the string spacing is quite narrow, about 17mm I think. The 4 has wider spacing.

7F55CE4C-09EE-49D8-835A-70B9DC587F56.jpeg