Why become a member? ×

New Combo Advice

Linus27

Looking to purchase a lightweight portable combo to be used for occasional acoustic sessions and as a home practise amp. I'll be using my Kala U-bass through it live to play 50s/60s covers or a Jazz and Precision at home. Budget is £300 and I'm after around 100 watts. I have nailed it down to the following,

Fender Rumble 100 V3 - £257
Gallien Krueger MB 110 - £290
TC Electronics BG250-208 - £292
Ampeg BA-112V2 - £258
Peavy Max 110 Mk2 - £254

Anyone have any experience of any of the above? Any I should avoid or are the best of the bunch? I quite fancy the Ampeg, even though its 75 watts, I've never owned one before and quite fancy one. I know nothing about Gallien Krueger or what any of them will sound like so any advice appreciated.

I have both the Fender Rumble 100 and the TCE BG250-208 and although on paper the Fender only has 40% of the wattage of the TCE I personally think it's louder. They're both lightweight and you can add extension cabs but the Fender doesn't have the Toneprint function or a tuner like the TCE.

I also have a couple of Ampeg amp heads but I'm not sure any of your options will give you the clarity you might need from your Kala U-bass. Gallien-Krueger get great reviews but my advice would be to go to store that stocks them all, take your basses and try them out.

Have you actually tried any of them? If not, you need to. What suits you may not suit us and vice versa. They are probably all much of a muchness in quality terms - they are similarly priced/sized. You simply must try them to see which you prefer.

3 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Have you actually tried any of them? If not, you need to. What suits you may not suit us and vice versa. They are probably all much of a muchness in quality terms - they are similarly priced/sized. You simply must try them to see which you prefer.

Yeah, that's my plan but was interested to see what's others opinions were.

I’m a massive GK fan, but for me the Fender Rumble would be top from your list.

They are great - very light but punch well above their weight, and sound fantastic IMO.

Richtone in Sheffield were advertising a mint s/h one for £149 recently, bargain! :D