Why become a member? ×

Strymon Deco for low gain Overdrive

GisserD

In my seemingly never ending quest for low gain overdrive, i came across the Strymon Deco. Marketed as a tape saturation AND a double-tracker which to my ears sounds pretty sweet as a low gain overdrive.

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with one of what peoples opinions are of it compared to other low gain ODs

there is a nice demo here, specifically demoing the saturation side starting at the 3.00 mark...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqnpFxq9D8   for me it hits the mark just past the 12o`clock point, just bordering into breakup.

Ive been keeping my eye on this pedal for a whyle now, hoping to snap one up on the used market as i feel it may be what ive been after. But at £299! new its NOT cheap.

The tape effects on the other side might be of some use one day in the studio, but im not sure they are relevant for bass in a live setting. And im pretty happy with my Keeley 30ms as a double tracker.

anyway, keen to hear what the community thinks.....

Edited by GisserD

Quite easy to get a discount off anything they sell just by using the built-in chat system. And if they won't ship to the UK, you can forward it to shipito.com, but then costs will start to add up!

Edited by dannybuoy

I actually love the fine character of the Deco , I used it in a recent recording over my Hudson Broadcast and ss/bs mini. I seem to remember that the secondary function for one of the knobs is a tone control for the saturation and the low gain sounds are great BUT it's alot of pedal for alot of money. You can grab a used one for around 225. I'm still finding my way with it but the double tracking can also be a chorus, flanger or delay so it's pretty versatile

I believe the Deco was the precursor to their drive pedals. A toe in the water if you will. It’d sound great on a bass VI in a Cure cover band. 

@Dosi Y'AnarchyI use a Broadcast and love it but the Deco does have a great vibe to it. It feels like the left side is just the perfect measured drive minus the raffle of most drive pedals.

Edited by krispn