Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz/Precision Machine Heads?

thebrig

I need two replacement machine heads for my P bass but after searching literally everywhere around the world for months, I just can't find any anywhere, they have been discontinued and replaced by the lightweight open gear type.

My question is, does anyone know if the locking pins on the new ones are the same dimensions as the older ones? if so, I will buy a complete new set.

The top two pics are the older ones and the bottom pic is of the newer ones.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tuners.jpg

Just had it confirmed by a Fender parts dealer, the locking pins do NOT line up, why discontinue the old ones and bring out newer ones that are not interchangeable?

Looks like I'm going to have buy a set of completely different machines that hopefully will cover the two holes in the back of the headstock.

Gutted!!! If only I could find a couple (or a set) somewhere. :dash1: 

I didn't break them, I happened to come across one of the best Jazz replacement necks ever, so I decided to spend time working out a template so I could drill the holes to accept the locking pins so I could fit the neck to my American Standard P bass using the original tuners, now I've decided to fit that neck to a "home built" p bass which I'm really happy with, so I'm now thinking of selling my American Standard P bass on so I have to put the tuners back on to do so, I've got a matching drop D tuner and I found one replacement tuner, so I now need two more tuners to fit to my favourite neck.

Bit complicated I know ^_^

11 hours ago, thebrig said:

I didn't break them, I happened to come across one of the best Jazz replacement necks ever, so I decided to spend time working out a template so I could drill the holes to accept the locking pins so I could fit the neck to my American Standard P bass using the original tuners, now I've decided to fit that neck to a "home built" p bass which I'm really happy with, so I'm now thinking of selling my American Standard P bass on so I have to put the tuners back on to do so, I've got a matching drop D tuner and I found one replacement tuner, so I now need two more tuners to fit to my favourite neck.

Bit complicated I know ^_^

Makes total sense!

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Could you fill the locating holes with something like an epoxy then redrill them to suit a new full matching set? Looks like the new tuners would cover the filled area to me. 

That's what I had more or less resigned myself to do, but I think a fellow BC'er has come to my rescue with two matching tuners. :)

• Like 2