Left leaderboard
Skol303

DIY Acoustic Panels

10 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Thanks for the links, I've done a fair bit of roughing it out based on Bob Golds data. Couldn't help but notice even he can't find specs for the RWA45!

I'd not seen the BBC stuff. You do realise I'm now going to have read my way through all of that, don't you 51m0n? xD

Yep, its absolutely fascinating - literally all the research papers dating back to the 30's on studio design, absorption and diffusion, partition wall design, acoustics in various studios. I mean this is the absolute real deal, proper science and actual investment in trying multiple possible solutions to many problems faced in studio design.

It is a time consuming read, but I can't recommend it enough. I've read most of it that pertains to studio design/acoustic treatment that was written in the last 50 years and its truly excellent material.

I think it's time to get serious and read this thread again along with below thread to get a better understanding of this complex subject. My room is ready but currently empty as it needs decorating. The reverb is similar to spring reverb at the moment.

Man, some sh*t went down since I last saw this thread! It's taken us most of that time to tidy the mess up, but I'm now in the fortunate position of needing to make traps for a living room, studio, and rehearsal space. What with getting ourselves here and then losing all my work this year things are a little tight, but once I've replaced the computer I was already planning to when I last posted here and finished building my little in-house rehearsal drumkit, I'll be ready to get back to the absorber project myself!

I will give it a go too, I probably opt for the mid thickness panels. 

Would triangle shaped panels work. Like toblerone shape in the corners of the wall @Skol303 behind the work/ mixing desk?

They are known as 'Superchunks' which I think originated on an audio forum somewhere. They are more effective than corner panels, but not by a lot, apparently. They use loads more material, so are much more expensive for a small gain, but will absorb deeper frequencies, which is always good in a small room. Soffits, (similar, but full square sections in the corner) are apparently even more effective if you can spare the space.

Superchunks are a very popular method. They can also be made more effective by positioning them a couple of inches away from the walls, since it is barrier traversal that uses up most energy.

Another interesting and pretty good compromise is a design with a 4" deep layer across the corner, with another 2" to 4" different density layer behind it across the corner with a 2" air gap.

It's way harder to build, but uses less gear. You should be checking out gearslutz acoustics forum for more info!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dapiccol
      I'm selling this beautiful Warwick Streamer LX made in Germany.
      It sounds amazing and has a great Low B, but i do not play much at the moment and i would rather sell it to someone who can give it what it deserves
      The bass is in very good condition, it only has a few marks on the lower part of the body, as shown in the pics.

Ovangkol Neck
      Wenge Fingerboard
      Gold Hardware
      Flamed Maple top
      Active 2 Ways electronics
      Truss rod cover is missing

I accept payment with bank transfer or Paypal (+4% on final price)
      I can ship In Italy for 27€, in all Europe for 55£,  and to the USA for 165£
      I might be interested in trades with Warwick Corvette $$ 5 Strings, Warwick Thumb, Fender Jazz USA (or Marcus Miller signature Japan), Fender Precision USA, Music Man Stingray... anyways feel free to make me some other offers
      (in case of long distance trades i will ship my bass as soon as i receive yours  )

For any other info feel free to contact me

• By matthewkeyss
      Hi Guys 
      I am selling a 2 channel Aguilar AG500 amp head. It is in pretty nice condition, and comes with the pictured case, power cable and also the channel footswitch. 
      Collection from Maidstone, Kent. Until the 5th February, I can possibly sort out postage within the UK at buyers expense (courier and packaging). 
      You can contact me on here, or by mobile at +44 seven 429 58812 six. 
      Thanks!
      Matt 
      P.s. I have been locked out of my old basschat account but can be found here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/profile/11275-matthewkeys/

• By Baloney Balderdash
      So how long have you been playing bass, and why did you start?
      I think I started playing bass around when I was 16 or so, a couple of years after I had started to learn how to play guitar, which makes the time I have played bass around 27 years by now, most of that time having had bass as my main instrument of choice, although having continued to play guitar on the sideline all along.
      It all started one day at band rehearsal where I by pure incident picked up the bass players bass and started playing, fell in love with the sound and feel of playing it, right there on the spot, and soon after answered an add by a drummer and a guitarist/vocalist seeking a bass play for their band.
      After an audition session I got accepted as their new bass player, and even got a lot of praise from the drummer, who was a skilled musician that knew how to sight read music, and both played piano and guitar on the sideline, beside drums, (the same two people, though in another band, that I much later since recorded a 2 track Single and a 4 track EP with, which were released on a small independent record label some of our friends own, before I left that band, much top my later regret, though I did get to contribute to some of the compositions of their later full length album, even if not recording anything for it).
      The first few months with that original band I didn't even own my own bass yet, but had to borrow one.
      Soon after I decided to put my focus on playing bass over playing guitar.
      For some reason playing bass just came more natural to me, the instrument just felt right in my hands, and turned out I must have been thinking more like a bass player than a guitarist all along. 
    • By PWitz
      Hello I was looking for the BASS tabs for Fleetwood Mac's Rhiannon song.  i have found two that were not correct and although I'm trying to pick up by ear and watching several videos I am still struggling.  As a new bass player I am just trying to make sure I am right.  Thanks for info you can send in advance!!
      Phil
    • By ladze
      Up for sale/trade is my really exceptional bass US Lakland 44-64 PJ with the Jazz bass neck profile (nut 1.5" = 38mm).
      Serial number BG20 means that is the first year of Bob Glaub - 44-64 production (2001) and it is supposed to be the first PJ in the US Lakland production history.

Alder body, maple neck in quarter-sawn cut (I have never seen such a nice and even cut), rosewood fingerboard, Lake Placid Blue colour, Lindy Fralin pickups, Hipshot tuning machines and special designed bridge with two options of strings installation - "through body" and classic "on bridge", Elixir nickel wound strings, original pickup cover and GATOR foam case included.
      Weight 4,3kg. There are couple of scratches and dings on the body but the bass is in great condition at all. This bass sounds really amazing!!!

More photos on request.
      Price 1999 GBP + shipping.