Why become a member? ×

Cheap Ampeg gear

bassbluestew

In line with new gear being sold cheaply, has anyone been tempted with GAK's current Ampeg offer ?? Its a B2RE head and 410HLF cab. Seems a cheap rig to me at £679. At 450 watts, it'd be loud enough for most situations, and don't Ampeg carry a 5 year warranty on new gear ?? Mmmmm.

Keep your eyes peeled for my Series 6 Trace Rig for sale soon........perhaps.

S

I was looking at this 6 mumphs ago both with the 410 & the 1 15 is @ £599 but read that the non SVT heads (the B2RE in particular) is not very loud & not all that good either.
I'd find a shop & try it first, there's a reason for it being this price me thinks besides paying for an Ampeg badge.

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='330266' date='Nov 16 2008, 08:38 PM']Just noticed it's the SVT410HLF cab and not the more expensive B410HLF cab...........still, it's not a bad deal.

see here...http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=9693
S[/quote]

The B-series cabs are the cheaper ones, aren't they? The SVT410HLF usually sells for near enough £600 on it's own, if I remember rightly. It's part of the same 'Classic' range as the SVT-810. If that's the cab they're offering, then it's not a bad deal at all.

If it's the B-series, I'd have another think about it, and maybe look at the Harke LH-500. I've not heard one in real life yet, mind you, but the spec you get is pretty damn unbeatable for the money, so it's at least worth a go. It'll be on a level with the B2-RE, volume wise if nothing else. Either that, or look for second hand Ampeg SVT stuff, if that's what you've got your heart set on.

[quote name='andy67' post='330566' date='Nov 17 2008, 01:21 PM']can't comment on the b2re but...the b410hlf is a superb cab! it is the cheaper series with the svt410hlf being the more expensive big brother.[/quote]

+1
damn fine cabs,easily the best sounding cab i've ever heard or used.

Mmmmmmmmmm.................not sure what's going on here.

B series cab is £575 ...
[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ampeg-bse-410-hlf/3830"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ampeg-bse-410-hlf/3830[/url]

SVT cab ( 410HLF )is £399 ...
[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ampeg-svt-410-hlf/9693"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ampeg-svt-410-hlf/9693[/url]

So it would appear they have priced these the wrong way round then ???

Anyways, I am seriously tempted, so as I say, keep your eyes posted for a classic series 6 TE rig going cheap soon.

S

• 2 weeks later...

Well, well, well.

At the end of last week ( Friday to be precise ) the price of this package deal ( B2RE head and SVT410HLE cab - I double checked the cab out ) went up to ......£859, thats from £679 remember. The Thomann price for this kit is over £1k, and they are sometimes very cheap. I even enquired locally and the very best price I could get ( almost mates rates ) was £880.

Oh and when you click on this offer, it tells you it's no longer available.

Just as well I ordered mine on Thursday, expecting delivery anytime soon.

S
p.s. the S is for Stewart, not Smug, although it's a nice warm feeling to grab a bargain.

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='342843' date='Dec 2 2008, 11:32 AM']Well, well, well.

At the end of last week ( Friday to be precise ) the price of this package deal ( B2RE head and SVT410HLE cab - I double checked the cab out ) went up to ......£859, thats from £679 remember. The Thomann price for this kit is over £1k, and they are sometimes very cheap. I even enquired locally and the very best price I could get ( almost mates rates ) was £880.

Oh and when you click on this offer, it tells you it's no longer available.

Just as well I ordered mine on Thursday, expecting delivery anytime soon.

S
p.s. the S is for Stewart, not Smug, although it's a nice warm feeling to grab a bargain.[/quote]

Good work buddy you won't regret it, I played without mine on Sunday and I realised how much I love it.

Just been told it should arrive tomorrow.

Also, interestingly I think it was a mistake on their website. As I previously mentioned the deal has now been pulled.

I also think I may have been the only person to go for it, unless someone out there knows otherwise, because when I mentioned the fact the deal had changed and was then pulled, the chap on the phone got a little embarrased and said, "Your the last person to get this deal, I think you've just done really well mate."

The proof of the pudding and all that.

Getting just a tad excited now !!
S

[quote name='Stag' post='347297' date='Dec 6 2008, 03:34 PM']Ive been considering the B2RE as an accompaniment to my B-410HLF... can you post on how it sounds (and critically, how load it is?)[/quote]
Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but try Reverb (ex Sound Control) shops. Do a search on t'internet for their clearance stock and you'll find the B410HLF for £279 (usually shop demo but with their 1 year guarantee). I went to buy one and found it was the B410HE (ie no ported bottom and 8Ohms - usually cheaper). So ended up with that for £215. Plenty of their other shops do still advertise the B410HLF though for £279 so worth ringing up but get them to physically check the stock.

Also B115 on same deal is £179. Not SVT, but still OK (though made in China!).

As an aside: Once I got the B410HE home, I bought the B2R (previous to B2RE, slightly less power but US made) and an SVT115 together for £250 from a private classified ad., ending up with an Ampeg rig of arounf 375 Watts at 4Ohms (both 8Ohm speakers connected).

Sorry for the really quite boring story!

Edited by op76

Loving this rig, it has LOADS of bottom end, have only gigged it 4 times since I got it, but every time I tweak it a little ( I find there's no point in tweaking at home volume, I think that rigs - and for that matter fx too - sound sooooooo different in a live situation with a drum kit, guitarist, keys and a horn section to cope with ) but anyway, it gets better and better with every tweak. Could this also be the speakers breaking in ??

Loads of volume, I like it loud and I'm no where near driving this thing hard. Would have no worries volume wise. The B2RE is rated at 450 watts, as opposed to the B2R which I think was 300.

The cab is dead easy to move with the kick back and is actually surprisingly light.

S

I've been using the B2RE and th B410HLF for just about a year now.
On average about 2 gigs a week & rehersals.
I put the head in a Gator case when I bought it.
Managed to drop the head a couple of times, and I've slipped and hit the cabinet corner on a brick step and both are still working fine. Both were made in China.
I've had loads of compliements about how good & powerful it sounds with my fender P.
Never had to take the gain or main volume past three quarters power.
I would more than happily recommend it to anyone.