Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray question

barks

Can anyone who knows about Musicman basses help me with some info.?

I have recently been thinking about trying a Stingray bass again. I had one briefly a while back but sold it on as I was into my P Bass in a big way at the time and I only bought it on impulse. It was never going to be the one for me.
I would like to know a bit more about the specs on Musicman necks. eg. how do they measure up against the standard Fender J and P nut widths etc.?

I once tried a bass with a neck that had a similar finish to this:
[attachment=16016:musicman_88_a.jpg]
I remeber it felt really good but I wasn't able to buy it at the time. I haven't come across another like it since.
Can anyone help with regard to the age of the Musicman basses that would have this type of neck finish.

I haven't liked the neck finish on some of the new ones I've tried.

All help and advice appreciated.
Cheers
Neil.

If you mean the grain, aim for a late 80's instrument. If you mean the polyester finish then most basses before the late 90's had it and most produced even today.

We could probably date your preferred instrument if you gave us the serial plus shots of the bridge and neck joint. Stingray necks are approximately half way between a j and p bass.

I'd say they were more precision than jazz, having a SUB bass (same neck dimensions as a stingray) and a jazz bass, and the musicman neck is CONSIDERABLY chunkier. very precision like. As for the neck finish, i'd say anything before the mid 90's...
Check [url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/"]this[/url] site out, it will tell you a lot more than any of us lot can about finishes etc.

[quote name='bumnote' post='329815' date='Nov 15 2008, 07:56 PM']if it helps my stingray is 1.67 wide against 1.5 on a jazz [well actually an osbourne, ] and 1.75 on a p bass.[/quote]

Depends on the Precision.

My MIA P (2004) feels pretty much the same as my 2005 Ray - 1.625". The 'old P's were 1.75" (Fenderheads will give you more exact info)
My 1990 Ray (now departed) felt slightly chunkier but that was lacquered as opposed to oil finished. Not sure about the age of yours - 80's? (My 1990 didn't have the skunk stripe - i.e. like the current neck).

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='329923' date='Nov 15 2008, 10:53 PM']Depends on the Precision.

My MIA P (2004) feels pretty much the same as my 2005 Ray - 1.625". The 'old P's were 1.75" (Fenderheads will give you more exact info)
My 1990 Ray (now departed) felt slightly chunkier but that was lacquered as opposed to oil finished. Not sure about the age of yours - 80's? (My 1990 didn't have the skunk stripe - i.e. like the current neck).[/quote]

I have 2 ps, one is japanese 60s re issue, and one is an actual 63 p, they both feel similar, I love the feel of both. I have a g&l tribby L2000 which has a similar size neck but feels completely different.

If anything, the stingray feels more jazz like than precision, but I do have big hands.

the newer musicman's (musicmen?) have the waxy kinda finish to them, which i aint that keen on as i find it makes the neck kinda sticky. i think you'd be lookin at late eighties/early nineties for a gloss finished neck?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='330028' date='Nov 16 2008, 11:28 AM']the newer musicman's (musicmen?) have the waxy kinda finish to them, which i aint that keen on as i find it makes the neck kinda sticky. i think you'd be lookin at late eighties/early nineties for a gloss finished neck?[/quote]

The late 80's/early 90's necks weren't gloss finished IIRC. Mine was satin finished but after about 10 years wear it was pretty glossy. The finish was very similar to the headstock lacquer on the current basses.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='BassManKev' post='330028' date='Nov 16 2008, 11:28 AM']the newer musicman's (musicmen?) have the waxy kinda finish to them, which i aint that keen on as i find it makes the neck kinda sticky. i think you'd be lookin at late eighties/early nineties for a gloss finished neck?[/quote]

just as a bit of useless information, i asked about if it was musicmans or musicmen a while ago. we all agreed that its actually neither, but is actually musicman basses. technically it shouldnt be fenders, either, but fender basses. not shukers, but shuker basses. you get the idea. i'd just say stingrays if it was me, its easier (although again, incorrect i think? might not be, what with stingray not being the brand name, but the model name? then again it might, because stingrays isn't the noun unless you're talking about the animals, its just a model name and i cant see how thats any different to a brand name. any grammar geniuses, help? the point is, its not musicmans or musicmen!)

I actually like it (FWIW it's bare wood treated with gunstock oil), i think gloss feels stickier to me, but that's just me.

Hi Neil,

From the photo. it looks like the 'ray you tried had a birdseye maple neck on it. I have one which I believe dates to early '90's (1991 I think). I'm not sure how long these were made for.
Here's a piccie of mine just to confirm.
Cheers,
Jim
[url="http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o294/floydpepper_photos/riganddevil.jpg"]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o294/fl...riganddevil.jpg[/url]

Edited by Floyd Pepper

Neil,
I had a Stingray that had a neck nearly identical to that that was from the same date range the other guys are talking about. It was a 1989, hope that helps,
Matthew

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='332071' date='Nov 19 2008, 08:41 AM']Hi Neil,

From the photo. it looks like the 'ray you tried had a birdseye maple neck on it. I have one which I believe dates to early '90's (1991 I think). I'm not sure how long these were made for.
Here's a piccie of mine just to confirm.
Cheers,
Jim
[url="http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o294/floydpepper_photos/riganddevil.jpg"]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o294/fl...riganddevil.jpg[/url][/quote]