Why become a member? ×

Gig Gear bag = what do you use

dmccombe7

Is there not a danger that buying a large case would encourage you to occupy the space just because it's available?  You could end up carrying more than is necessary.  Not so much for the pros who have to be ready for all eventualities but maybe for us wannabes who are legging it more?

9 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Is there not a danger that buying a large case would encourage you to occupy the space just because it's available?  You could end up carrying more than is necessary.  Not so much for the pros who have to be ready for all eventualities but maybe for us wannabes who are legging it more?

Buy a small case then - and exercise a little self restraint! :-p

2 hours ago, goblin said:

I'd love something more compact. But I carry: 6m loom from pedalboard to behind amp (power and signal), two 3m instrument leads for the gig plus another two spare, spare patch leads for the board (power and signal), Hercules iPad holder, strap, spare clip on tuner, two radio packs for instrument and IEM, IEM buds in their box, bluetooth page turner, box of spare 9V batteries, box of AA batteries.

There's probably more but either way, I couldn't get it in a laptop case :(

Appreciate that you are carrying more gear to gigs.

Depends on how much gear you need.

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Most pros I've known tend to travel very light and expect spares, mains leads and the like  to be provided for them. Not a luxury available to those of us playing pub gigs! 

It depends what you define as a pro, as there are differing levels of pro out there too. Top pros for example usually have technicians at hand if anything goes tits up, so they can carry pretty much sod all. Pros down the pole a bit (such as myself), we make a comfortable living out of playing as our sole income, however I don't have a bass tech on the tour, so I have to be prepared for all eventualities. I still travel as light as I can, but I also have a spare bass that I can be confident will get me comfortably through the rest of the gig. Fortunately, I've only had to rely on that bass once on the tour and that was down to my own stupidity! 

• Like 1