Why become a member? ×

Gig Gear bag = what do you use

dmccombe7

Had a search and couldn't see anything so thought i would ask the question. 

I'm curious what people use to carry their gear to gigs. Not their bass but more their leads, spare batteries, strings, tools and all that kind of stuff.

I usually take a rucksack but was wondering if there is a dedicated bag for it.

Dave

I`ve got a Wenger rucksack for my leads & pedals. I did use a Boschma Utitlty Case for a while, but the Wenger is pretty well padded, and easier to cart about being a rucksack. It has a good few compartments so I can keep amp-leads/guitar leads, pedals & gig-towel/set-lists, spare t-shirt, spare leads & strings etc all seperate so only opening whichever compartment I need at the time. Makes it easier that way as some gigs it`s own amp & leads/pedals, others it`s just leads & pedals as amp is provided. It wasn`t cheap, but it`s been a very good buy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I`ve got a Wenger rucksack for my leads & pedals. I did use a Boschma Utitlty Case for a while, but the Wenger is pretty well padded, and easier to cart about being a rucksack. It has a good few compartments so I can keep amp-leads/guitar leads, pedals & gig-towel/set-lists, spare t-shirt, spare leads & strings etc all seperate so only opening whichever compartment I need at the time. Makes it easier that way as some gigs it`s own amp & leads/pedals, others it`s just leads & pedals as amp is provided. It wasn`t cheap, but it`s been a very good buy.

The rucksack idea is what i'm using too. Maybe i need one with more compartments rather than just firing everything into the main compartment. It has one smaller apartment at front but doesn't hold much.

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

The rucksack idea is what i'm using too. Maybe i need one with more compartments rather than just firing everything into the main compartment. It has one smaller apartment at front but doesn't hold much.

Yeah,  I also have a Protection Racket rucksack, and whilst it`s a nice rucksack it is a case of pretty much everything in one compartment, so on gigs where I don`t need everything (which I generally find out at the gig, so still have to bring it all) I still had to take everything out in order to put back what wasn`t needed.

• Haha 1

I use one of these "electrician's tool cases" to carry my amplifier. I added a layer of hard foam at the bottom, and made a frame with more foam so that the amp doesn't move in the compartment. The space it leaves is where I carry most cables. There are additional compartments where various other bits can go. 

20170620_191412.jpg?dl=1

20170620_192829.jpg?dl=1

20170620_192957.jpg?dl=1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I was sure i'd seen a dedicated shoulder bag with different compartments for bits and bobs but was a few years ago.

Dave

I think that you might be thinking of this? http://lugville.com/shop/lugville-musicians-gear-bag/

I got one a few months ago - works pretty well and easier to find things in a hurry,but could do with being slightly bigger. 

6 minutes ago, peteb said:

I think that you might be thinking of this? http://lugville.com/shop/lugville-musicians-gear-bag/

I got one a few months ago - works pretty well and easier to find things in a hurry,but could do with being slightly bigger. 

That's the very thing i was thinking off. Will see if they are available in UK.

Dave

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

The above makes it look like you have a granny flat in your rucksack and you have a low opinion of her.  For shame!

Heeheehee

I have a canvas bag in the style of a holdall but smaller.  It's a little shy of eighteen inches in length and it holds cables, tuner, strings, a mains extension reel, some switch cleaner and nail clippers.  I don't gig but if I did I imagine I'd have to be a lot more focussed about what gets carried in it than I am now.

I'd consider a rucksack if I didn't already have a gig bag for my bass to put on my back.  Although I have a hard case for the bass, it's not used for the walk to my local because it spoils my gait and I get problems with my neck as a result.  As I have a gig bag for the bass that can be worn with shoulder straps I'm happy enough to carry the bag.  If I was going in a vehicle, the hard case would be used and then the rucksack would be ideal.

I suppose it is inevitable that I will get into pedals and other peripheral stuff which will make me rethink my luggage but I won't get a larger bag just now because I would tend to look for gear to fill it up.

We'll soon be able to buy robotic luggage that follows us whilst looking like something cute out of a Japanese cartoon.  Won't that be great?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

I have an old IBM staff issue leather laptop case, from back when laptops were the size of a breeze block. Easily fits everything in.

I also use a laptop bag - it dates back to when I had a Genz Benz Shuttle and it used to live in a laptop bag with a divider and my cables in the other half.

When I don't have to bring my own amp, I just carry a 4HE SKB rack case with two Ampeg tube preamps and a 19" tuner and my Sadowsky gigbag which holds my bass, cables (just one power cable for the whole rack, one long jack-jack instrument cable, one short cable for when I'm playing wireless, and an emergency instrument and XLR), a Gerber multitool, spare batteries, spare preamp tubes, a strap and my emergency EBS MicroBass II. I don't own a Sadowsky, but I love the gigbag! People always comment on the massive weight of my bag xD

Sadowsky_PortaBagPlus1.jpg?d=a1

I was hoping to find something that seperates but lifts. A wonderbra perhaps :biggrin:

Seriously thos something that doesn't end up being the pit of doom where all things can get lost in a black hole.

The Lugville shown earlier would be ideal but its a bit expensive and don't see any for sale in UK. I like the idea of my leads being secured individually and compartments for other bits and bobs incl smaller pedals like my TC Polytune.

The toolbag sounds promising. Will need to look into them a bit more.  

• Haha 1