Why become a member? ×

Sound levels with multiple basses live

28mistertee

2 hours ago, 28mistertee said:

So I could run from my wireless/tuner into the input then output to rest of the effects, I wouldn’t need to connect to the A&B and the dials would still adjust the A&B or do I need to jumper both A&B send/return with two patch cables?

Unfortunately I only own the one wireless so the receiver stays in my pocket and I just unplug and plug back in when I switch.

That's correct.  You don't need to patch the Sends to the Returns, the LS2 does that by default when no jacks are plugged into them.  I've just double-checked with mine to be sure: one bass running into the Input; Output running to my amp; LS2 set to  A->B->Bypass; nothing plugged into any Sends or Returns - I can definitely get three different volumes coming out the amp when cycling through the channels.

I'm not suggesting an LS2 is necessarily the best solution for you, just that it is capable of three channels with a different output level on each.  They have become a bit expensive to my mind; you used you be able to get one for £25 used.  They also colour the tone slightly, and mine is a bit susceptible to noise, but that may well just be my one which has always been a bit iffy.  They are undeniably super useful to have around though - mine has come in handy in a number of different scenarios.

Technically your three channel Sansamp is all you need, assuming you place it after the tuner/wireless-receiver, but I can see how tweaking three different sets of Gain and Output Volume with one set of analogue knobs could be a bit of a trial.

Edited by linear

52 minutes ago, linear said:

That's correct.  You don't need to patch the Sends to the Returns, the LS2 does that by default when no jacks are plugged into them.  I've just double-checked with mine to be sure: one bass running into the Input; Output running to my amp; LS2 set to  A->B->Bypass; nothing plugged into any Sends or Returns - I can definitely get three different volumes coming out the amp when cycling through the channels.

I'm not suggesting an LS2 is necessarily the best solution for you, just that it is capable of three channels with a different output level on each.  They have become a bit expensive to my mind; you used you be able to get one for £25 used.  They also colour the tone slightly, and mine is a bit susceptible to noise, but that may well just be my one which has always been a bit iffy.  They are undeniably super useful to have around though - mine has come in handy in a number of different scenarios.

Technically your three channel Sansamp is all you need, assuming you place it after the tuner/wireless-receiver, but I can see how tweaking three different sets of Gain and Output Volume with one set of analogue knobs could be a bit of a trial.

Thank you for trying that out for me. I have been looking around for an LS2 and yes they are expensive for what they are. Part of me wants to persevere with my 3 channel Sansamp but as you say the LS2 has a number of great purposes I think it would be handy to own one.

On 11/01/2018 at 06:37, Osiris said:

How about a multi-fx unit?

You could set up a patch for each bass, even if it's just a flat eq and/or some compression, and balance the volume for each patch so when you change basses you just stomp the appropriate footswitch and you're done.

Obviously you don't need to use all the other bells and whistles but they are there should you ever get the urge! 

The highly regarded Zoom B3 would be the obvious choice and used ones are currently changing hands for well under £100. 

Exactly what i would do.

Even just Mute when needed to to swap basses over. 5 second job.