Why become a member? ×

Feeler , testing the water

fleabag

Being fairly new, i have to ask what those terms mean.

I see " Feeler , Blah blah 4 string, blah blah pickups , offers " etc. Is this item actually for sale? If the seller ( feeler seller ) doesnt get the offer they want, isnt that the same as posting something FOR SALE Fender *** with a price, but if no one wants to pay that price, the seller doesnt sell that item. Is that not the same thing ?

testing the water - is that the same as a ' feeler ' ??

Eg " I'm selling this or that but i'm not sure i wanna sell it , what will you pay " ? Why would anyone go to the trouble of offering money, or getting in touch, or spending time on this when the seller doesnt even know if its for sale or not ?

If the right offer is the price the seller will sell at, ( for arguments sake £500 ) then why not say For sale Fender blah blah £500 ?

If then no one buys, the seller can say " OK, i've dropped the price " or " Ok didnt sell at £500, make an offer ". If the offer isnt close enough, then there's no sale.

Am i making sense ? :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='329099' date='Nov 14 2008, 01:47 PM']It's a community so there are more subtle things going on than a straightforward sale and purchase.[/quote]

+1

I know that some people find it irritating but it's a fantastic luxury for people who are unsure of what something is worth or whether or not anyone would be interested in what they have. Also in the case of obscure or collectible stuff it solicits nuggets of info and assistance from other people in the know who may be able to help you sell something.

I know many people on here who have been in two minds about keeping an instrument and have found a great trade by putting out feelers.

I find it help to crystalize whether you actually want to sell something or not. I think that by putting feeler, its more socially acceptable to withdraw it at a leter date if you decide to keep it, whilst also seeing if people are willing to pay waht you think the item is worth.

Just my 2p

[quote name='Sean' post='329223' date='Nov 14 2008, 04:28 PM']I know that some people find it irritating but it's a fantastic luxury for people who are unsure of what something is worth or whether or not anyone would be interested in what they have. Also in the case of obscure or collectible stuff it solicits nuggets of info and assistance from other people in the know who may be able to help you sell something.

I know many people on here who have been in two minds about keeping an instrument and have found a great trade by putting out feelers.[/quote]

That makes good sense to me :)

Yeah what those guys said. Plus have you ever tried selling some gear you were attached to? It's hard and sometimes people change their minds. Particularly in the current financial climate, some people are having to sell their basses that they're attached to because they need the money, whether it's for bills, or they've been laid off etc and they're not sure whether they can get away without selling their basses or not. You know what i mean? They're quite personal bits of kit if you think about it and it requires a bit more thought than say an ipod or an amp to sell one.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='329387' date='Nov 14 2008, 08:18 PM']They're quite personal bits of kit if you think about it and it requires a bit more thought than say an ipod or an amp to sell one.[/quote]

I agree... :huh:
But take a look in Basses for sale..
Buy a Bass one week...'Its the best Bass i have ever played..'
Next week its for sale...'i cant get on with a five..'
Buys a Jazz Bass the week after..
The following week...'Testing the water'
I fancy a Musicman...' Jazz FS/FT'
The next week..
Then notices a guy on You tube getting a decent sound from a P bass.
'Feeler'
Musicman F/S or will trade for a P bass. Blah blah blah.
That dont seem Personal to me...Just GAS..which is fine.
But murder trying to do business with all that going on. :)

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='329394' date='Nov 14 2008, 08:39 PM']I agree... :huh:
But take a look in Basses for sale..
Buy a Bass one week...'Its the best Bass i have ever played..'
Next week its for sale...'i cant get on with a five..'
Buys a Jazz Bass the week after..
The following week...'Testing the water'
I fancy a Musicman...' Jazz FS/FT'
The next week..
Then notices a guy on You tube getting a decent sound from a P bass.
'Feeler'
Musicman F/S or will trade for a P bass. Blah blah blah.
That dont seem Personal to me...Just GAS..which is fine.
But murder trying to do business with all that going on. :)

Garry[/quote]
While that's true for some people (and i was a little like that recently trying to find the right bass) i think i've got a pretty good combination going on now and i can't see myself selling them any time soon. but for a lot of people on here they only have one or two basses and they're really special to them. If it ever came to me selling my red SUB bass you'd know it would be desperate times for me.

Edited by budget bassist