Why become a member? ×

Staining your fingerboard...photos.

NancyJohnson

• 1 year later...

Just moving on a year, it's all still good, no discernable fading and it doesn't come off when I'm playing. 

(Obviously) the four string hasn't had a lot of use in the last twelve months (plus, pretty much all my studio work has been on the five string).  I've got a John East incoming for Christmas, so suspect the four string will get a bit more use in the the next year with Lizard Sweets.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, songofthewind said:

I did have a go, using Liberon dye, on an old donor Les Paul copy from the eighties. The result was ugly, to my eyes, so I gave up on the idea. I might resurrect it.

I tried the Fiebings black dye on my defretted acoustic which had a lovely reddish rosewood board that never looked right as a fretless. Tbh when all was said and done I also thought it looked a bit ugly dyed black, very unnatural looking especially in contrast to the rest of the bass. I sanded it back a touch (still very dark mind) and applied a few coats of Danish oil, much better and much more like what I was hoping for.

The none more black looks great on the OP's Lull though, definitely suits that bass. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...