Why become a member? ×

What make is this?

SH73

Pots are easy to replace, if needs be.

But it may not even need that; sometimes the nut holding the pot to the scratchplate comes loose and turning the knob turns the whole pot, which then causes the wire to break off at some point - that's an easy fix!

Squirt a bit of switch cleaner in the pots, will probably sort them out. Useful stuff to have if you own a bass (or anything else with pots & switches), tbh.

It's worth remembering that the likes of Grant & Columbus are importer brand names and not manufacturers. Very few of any of the names on MIJ guitars are actual manufacturer names - and this one looks like it was sold without a brand name, as many were.

Fwiw Grant & Columbus appear to mostly have been the same instruments & are thought to have been Chushin Gakki products. I don't think this is a Chushin, though - they didn't use that style of neckplate, as far as I know.

I personally wouldn't pay hundreds for a 70s Japanese copy (but that's me, personally), but I see them being offered at those kind of prices, so there must be  a market. I'm not sure about an unbranded one, though.

I guess you could agree that if you sold it, you could split the money at that point.

26 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Squirt a bit of switch cleaner in the pots, will probably sort them out. Useful stuff to have if you own a bass (or anything else with pots & switches), tbh.

It's worth remembering that the likes of Grant & Columbus are importer brand names and not manufacturers. Very few of any of the names on MIJ guitars are actual manufacturer names - and this one looks like it was sold without a brand name, as many were.

Fwiw Grant & Columbus appear to mostly have been the same instruments & are thought to have been Chushin Gakki products. I don't think this is a Chushin, though - they didn't use that style of neckplate, as far as I know.

Ah yes, forgot to mention switch cleaner - squirty cans avalable from Maplin (also squirty cans of air, which are handy for blowing out dust & detritus).

I used to buy & sell a lot of vintage MIJ stuff a few years ago so I tend to look at them from the perspective of what I'd hope to get for it in a 99p, no-reserve auction.

No brand name & no definite provenance (beyond MIJ, mid 70s) makes it a slightly harder sell. Original, fully-working condition is a big help though, and if it plays & sounds good then that's a winner. This is a good-quality, accurate copy which means it's higher up the food chain than a lot of what's on the market - those Grants & Columbuses, for example.

That said, these don't go for mega-money, if I was selling it I'd hope for £250ish but realistically expect somewhere between £150 - £200.

If you keep it & mod it, always bear in mind you might want to sell it later, so keep the original parts - and I would advise against making irreversible mods. These are rare instruments and have become pretty collectable - don't be surprised if it's worth less with a set of expensive pickups, BA2 & a preamp than it would be with its original bits. Seen that happen a few times!

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I used to buy & sell a lot of vintage MIJ stuff a few years ago so I tend to look at them from the perspective of what I'd hope to get for it in a 99p, no-reserve auction.

No brand name & no definite provenance (beyond MIJ, mid 70s) makes it a slightly harder sell. Original, fully-working condition is a big help though, and if it plays & sounds good then that's a winner. This is a good-quality, accurate copy which means it's higher up the food chain than a lot of what's on the market - those Grants & Columbuses, for example.

That said, these don't go for mega-money, if I was selling it I'd hope for £250ish but realistically expect somewhere between £150 - £200.

If you keep it & mod it, always bear in mind you might want to sell it later, so keep the original parts - and I would advise against making irreversible mods. These are rare instruments and have become pretty collectable - don't be surprised if it's worth less with a set of expensive pickups, BA2 & a preamp than it would be with its original bits. Seen that happen a few times!

Him speak honto!

On 31/12/2017 at 13:10, prowla said:

Ah yes, forgot to mention switch cleaner - squirty cans avalable from Maplin (also squirty cans of air, which are handy for blowing out dust & detritus).

I've used a squirty aur can I had and it did the job well. Neck volume pot still not 100 %. 

• 5 years later...

I think I have just bought this exact bass! Found it in the Bass Gallery in Camden last week. OP does that sound possible to you? 

I was trying out American J basses and picked this one up and found it sounded and played just as well. Not a bad find