Why become a member? ×

Anyone using xp unable to get on?

skidder652003

I can't get on with a laptop at  I use at work :ph34r:. At home, no probs. At work no. And yes, it runs XP as it has various diagnostic programs on it that were designed to run in XP. They may be old, but they are very useful! It gives me an error regarding a server communication issue "this connection is insecure" and when i click on more information it seems to concern a protocol that is "not supported". I'll have a better look tomorrow and post the exact message.

Just now, phil.c60 said:

I can't get on with a laptop at  I use at work :ph34r:. At home, no probs. At work no. And yes, it runs XP as it has various diagnostic programs on it that were designed to run in XP. They may be old, but they are very useful! It gives me an error regarding a server communication issue "this connection is insecure" and when i click on more information it seems to concern a protocol that is "not supported". I'll have a better look tomorrow and post the exact message.

If you could that would be great!

Just now, linear said:

Firefox is still supported on XP, (until May 2018).

Is that the latest version of firefox?  From what I'm reading some of these issues can come from the browser effectively not supporting newer security protocols so although it looks like the browser is saying the site isn't secure it's actually the other way around...

Just now, charic said:

Is that the latest version of firefox?  From what I'm reading some of these issues can come from the browser effectively not supporting newer security protocols so although it looks like the browser is saying the site isn't secure it's actually the other way around...

I think its a legacy version, so I assume it won't be feature identical to the current Firefox.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

The diagram shows it branching from Firefox version 52, which was current in March 2017, so not the latest, but still relatively recent.

Right, here goes. It's not a security issue here - I'm logged on using a PC running Windows 7 on the same network.

My laptop with XP, service pack 3 running Chrome as a browser (which may be an old version, Chrome tells me that updates are unavailable as XP is no longer supported) will not connect.

Search in google for "basschat"  shows the site as a result, click on it and a blank white screen with the error message:

"This site cannot provide a secure connection. www.basschat.co.uk uses an unsupported protocol"

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Details: 

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version in cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4 which s no longer considered secure.

Hope this helps, Charic.

Regards, Phil

1 minute ago, phil.c60 said:

Right, here goes. It's not a security issue here - I'm logged on using a PC running Windows 7 on the same network.

My laptop with XP, service pack 3 running Chrome as a browser (which may be an old version, Chrome tells me that updates are unavailable as XP is no longer supported) will not connect.

Search in google for "basschat"  shows the site as a result, click on it and a blank white screen with the error message:

"This site cannot provide a secure connection. www.basschat.co.uk uses an unsupported protocol"

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Details: 

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version in cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4 which s no longer considered secure.

Hope this helps, Charic.

Regards, Phil

Yep, I think we have a solution.  I'm just waiting for our provider to roll out a legacy SSL solution for us :)