Why become a member? ×

Battery powered/ light weight & aircraft friendly bass combo?

Tradfusion

Bit of a tall order I know but I play bass (electric) regularly with a bunch of trad Irish musicians and occasionally we get to play abroad where most of the fun can be had during down time in local pubs, street busking or in hotel lobbies etc. In those situations a small battery powered combo would be very handy and allow me to join in the fun... I actually did own a little Roland micro cube 5w combo some time ago but found it woefully underpowered in a busy loud pub environment or even in quieter rooms when the accordian and fiddles etc stated to crank up... so I'm looking for something with a bit more grunt but that is still small and light enough to carry on board an aircraft and sounds reasonably OK... any suggestions welcome :)

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1510063606' post='3403650']
This.
[/quote]

Yeah the briefcase is lovely but too large and heavy (almost 13kg) to take on board a plane as cabin baggage which is ideally what I would like to be able to do... a bit of poking about and I discovered that the PJB Double 4 takes a DC input and can be powered up with a laptop battery... unfortunately has to be 18-20v so normal 12v batteries are no good but it looks closest to what I am describing and only weighs 4kg which makes it cabin friendly too... bit pricey but might be worth it... anyone got any experience of using the Double 4 in an unplugged session?

I’m a very recent Double Four owner and can say it sounds fantastic. I can’t see it having any problem keeping up with a couple of guitarists and unamplified vocals but much more than that and I imagine it would struggle.

Regarding battery power, I was looking at getting this. Good capacity, correct voltage and slim enough tnot to add too much to the bulk of the overall package: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poweradd-23000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Portable-Notebooks-Silver/dp/B013HXKZYW

Or if you want a real powerhouse: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poweradd-ChargerCenter-Generator-Rechargeable-Notebooks/dp/B07259K5MY/ref=pd_sim_107_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7XN2PWR11JNFQ8754F1M

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1510075037' post='3403798']
I’d have been really tempted with a double four if the battery pack was built in. Don’t fancy spending that amount on an amp then having to strap a great big batt to it.
[/quote]

I imagine the first battery I linked to might be small enough to slide underneath the side handle. I’m kind of in agreement with you but if PJB fitted the Double Four with a battery at factory level it would likely encroach on sales of the Briefcase and would substantially increase the size of the amp, putting it into Cub territory and thus, in one fell swoop, ruining the equilibrium of the PJB product catalog :lol:

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1510077920' post='3403826']

I imagine the first battery I linked to might be small enough to slide underneath the side handle. I’m kind of in agreement with you but if PJB fitted the Double Four with a battery at factory level it would likely encroach on sales of the Briefcase and would substantially increase the size of the amp, putting it into Cub territory and thus, in one fell swoop, ruining the equilibrium of the PJB product catalog :lol:
[/quote]

That’s just another way of saying it would be successful ;)