Why become a member? ×

Heavy covers - what do you think?

redbandit599

Hi all
One of my bands has just become singerless - great girl, but baby number 2 has just tipped the balance to not being able to commit to regular rehearsal- so here we go on the hunt again.

One idea ( as we all like the heavy stuff - if you don't- move on please😀) is we go heavier. We're a rock/hard rock band anyway.

Just interested if anyone is successful playing heavier covers ( not talking classic rock stuff here or the token Enter Sandman) but some classic to more modern metal. Not a fan of screamo but don't mind a bit of growly vocals ( Amon Amarth I like for instance)

Any how, what's your experience- are there gigs/ audience out there for this? Any good bands to cover/ tracks etc?

Pub gigs - so heavy but fun and accessible I suppose.

Two guitars, drums and bass and a singer tbc.

Cheers

Jason

Edited by redbandit599

I just finished a run of deps with a band like that - Sabbath, Priest, Motorohead, QOTSA, STP, RATM, Velvet Revolver, Faith No More plus some more modern stuff like Avenged Sevenfold.

In the right venues, they get a good response, and folk who do like heavy music are always pleased to find a covers band doing it, but the overall market isn't that big so they can't charge as much as other bands, I think the max they get here in Sussex is £250.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1509011157' post='3395959']
Dress like The Corrs and play Cannibal Corpse. CANNIBAL CORRS!!!
[/quote]
That reminds me of the Shed 7 fan club hoax where they announced that they would be touring a set made up entirely of Led Zeppelin covers and calling themselves Shed Zeppelin.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1509014782' post='3396008']
That reminds me of the Shed 7 fan club hoax where they announced that they would be touring a set made up entirely of Led Zeppelin covers and calling themselves Shed Zeppelin.
[/quote]

I did once go and see Dredd Zeppelin at the Marquee - an front man dressed as Elvis with a band doing Zep covers in a reggae style. I seem to remember they released a couple of albums.

Thread has gone slightly off topic, but I'm all for Go with the Flow- I actually own one of said Dred Zeppelin albums. Was great fun and ideal for annoying hippies.
The Shed 7 anecdote reminds of seeing Terrorvision cover SClub 7 and seeing a lively mosh instantly transform into loads of loons singing and doing the actions to Reach for the Stars. Happy days 😁