Why become a member? ×

PJ quick build

DarkHeart

I got myself a Zebrano neck off fleabay the other week with the notion of having a cabinet maker friend of mine build me a body for it but I couldnt resist building a PJ out of it and I think it looks quite special! still waiting for the Entwistle PBXN pickup to arrive but the Wilkinson one in use certainly doesnt disappoint. Its got a Squier PJ body (cheers Lel), Wilkinson tuners (why does he make the bases so big!) a JBXN at the bridge, a Wilkinson multi adjustable bridge, Rotosound Nexus strings and a KiOgon wiring loom.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1504456701' post='3364987']
Good hack on the machine heads. They do look like large baseplates. Is the headstock smaller than usual somehow?
[/quote]

Yeah I think it is on the small side but ive seen examples before of Wilkinson machines over hanging on Squiers as well. The PBXN pickup arrived today and now I`m currently in the process of getting the P pup reversed and obviously a new bwb plate made.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1504385263' post='3364579']
I'd go with either a natural, orange or black finish on the body personally...
[/quote]

A refin would probably double what its cost although a mega bright orange finish would be nice, it does look remarkably nice in the flesh as it is though, the grain in the neck really pops!

Edited by DarkHeart

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1504702054' post='3366704']
That neck is INSANE!!! I can't tell if I love it or hate it to be honest, but it is different!!

How is the zebrano tonally?

Great build though, I really dig it!!
[/quote]

Well to me it sounds like a Precision with a maple neck, seems brighter than rosewood but who am I to tell :D

Its now finished with the reversed Entwistle PBXN pup and new plate (cheers Howard) sounds and plays great, i think it looks non too shabby either.