Why become a member? ×

Steve Hanley From The Fall

spongebob

I've been a big Fall fan for years, and have always totally loved the bass sound and style created by Mr. Steve Hanley when he was a mainstay in the band.

Question is, I know he played a Precision througout his time with them, but does anyone know any more about it? What was that colour called - it was kind of yellowey, with (I think) a black scratchplate. I'd love one the same!

I'm no Fender expert - I'm a Rickenbacker fan through and through (I'm sure I saw a video clip with him playing one of these as well once?) - but the sound he manages is/was totally fab. Any idea how he got it?

[quote name='spongebob' post='321970' date='Nov 4 2008, 05:20 PM']I've been a big Fall fan for years, and have always totally loved the bass sound and style created by Mr. Steve Hanley when he was a mainstay in the band.

Question is, I know he played a Precision througout his time with them, but does anyone know any more about it? What was that colour called - it was kind of yellowey, with (I think) a black scratchplate. I'd love one the same!

I'm no Fender expert - I'm a Rickenbacker fan through and through (I'm sure I saw a video clip with him playing one of these as well once?) - but the sound he manages is/was totally fab. Any idea how he got it?[/quote]
Nice to hear from another Fall fan. :)

Here'a a picture of Steve and his gear taken in 1983.

Sound City speakers, but as for that head?

Cheers,

Jake M

[attachment=15578:Hanley_W...use_1983.jpg]

Edited by Jake_M

Could the sound city cab (and unidentified amp) be for the keyboard? Then the other amp in the picture - HH (possibly VS Bassamp) would be for bass? I used a HH VS throughout the late '70s and into the mid '80s, a very fine piece of gear indeed that lreally made my Ripper growl.

Another Fall fan here-I've seen them a couple of times, last time was in 1994 in Penzance. Bloody superb stuff-if you want to elicit howls of outrage from your average listener-in-the street, put some Fall on.
When they were on Jools a few years ago, after Hanley had left, their bass player had a very tasteful black/black/maple Precision not unlike my own.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='322046' date='Nov 4 2008, 06:58 PM']Another Fall fan here-I've seen them a couple of times, last time was in 1994 in Penzance. Bloody superb stuff-if you want to elicit howls of outrage from your average listener-in-the street, put some Fall on.
When they were on Jools a few years ago, after Hanley had left, their bass player had a very tasteful black/black/maple Precision not unlike my own.[/quote]
Saw them last March at Bilston Robin. Never saw them back in the day, and loved every minute. New albums pretty good, especially Fifty Year Old Man, which is as good as anything they've ever done IMO.

I read Renegade by MES recently. Didn't really spill the beans as i'd hoped, although very funny. The Fallen by Dave Simpson looks more promising.

Cheers,

Jake M

Edited by Jake_M

[quote name='lozbass' post='322008' date='Nov 4 2008, 06:00 PM']Could the sound city cab (and unidentified amp) be for the keyboard? Then the other amp in the picture - HH (possibly VS Bassamp) would be for bass? I used a HH VS throughout the late '70s and into the mid '80s, a very fine piece of gear indeed that lreally made my Ripper growl.[/quote]
Knowing The Fall they're probably all playing through the wrong amps on purpose anyway. :)

[quote name='spongebob' post='321970' date='Nov 4 2008, 05:20 PM']Question is, I know he played a Precision througout his time with them, but does anyone know any more about it? What was that colour called - it was kind of yellowey, with (I think) a black scratchplate. I'd love one the same!

I'm no Fender expert - I'm a Rickenbacker fan through and through (I'm sure I saw a video clip with him playing one of these as well once?) - but the sound he manages is/was totally fab. Any idea how he got it?[/quote]

The bass is a natural finish US (MIA ) P with what looks like a Tort pickguard, and Maple neck. The sound is classic P - solid state 70s amp.

You could get that sound with a 1/2 decent P (as importantly a decent P Pup) and something like an Ashdown or Trace Elliot rig (without going to the more expensive makers).

[quote name='The Burpster' post='322402' date='Nov 5 2008, 06:42 AM']The bass is a natural finish US (MIA ) P with what looks like a Tort pickguard, and Maple neck. The sound is classic P - solid state 70s amp.

You could get that sound with a 1/2 decent P (as importantly a decent P Pup) and something like an Ashdown or Trace Elliot rig (without going to the more expensive makers).[/quote]

A decent P Pup? My abbreviation knowlege needs some work! What's that?

Thanks to all the above. Nice to know what he used.

I have also seen them a couple of times - in 1997, with the Hanley/Burns rhythm section (as I'm also a drummer, it was my dream night!), and in 2002, which I think was filmed.

TBH, the '97 gig was the best. Better group, and more chaotic! It was just months before he sacked all the band, and the gig was looking dubious from the off. The band played the opening riff of 'Masquerade' for about 10 mins before Smith arrived, considerably refreshed. They proceeded to play the loudest gig I've ever attended - including Motorhead!

I've not bought the last few LP's - I really should - but I found post '98 that the guys he was working with really lacked any identity or 'groove', like the old Hanley rhythm section.

But I do hear that the new LP is a corker!

[quote name='spongebob' post='322800' date='Nov 5 2008, 05:08 PM']A decent P Pup? My abbreviation knowlege needs some work! What's that?

I have also seen them a couple of times - in 1997, with the Hanley/Burns rhythm section (as I'm also a drummer, it was my dream night!), and in 2002, which I think was filmed.

TBH, the '97 gig was the best. Better group, and more chaotic! It was just months before he sacked all the band, and the gig was looking dubious from the off. The band played the opening riff of 'Masquerade' for about 10 mins before Smith arrived, considerably refreshed. They proceeded to play the loudest gig I've ever attended - including Motorhead!

I've not bought the last few LP's - I really should - but I found post '98 that the guys he was working with really lacked any identity or 'groove', like the old Hanley rhythm section.

But I do hear that the new LP is a corker![/quote]
P is for precision bass, pup is for pickup! :)

This thread reminds me of a cartoon I saw years ago in one of the music papers-can't remember which one. It dated from when Brix was married to Mark E., and entailed her being chatted up by Pete Murphy of Bauhaus. Mark E. arrives on the scene, and proceeds to say something along the lines of 'Ah, thirties horrorstar, ah, Peel on balustrade, ah, I will go out there, ah, John H.Stracey in laundromat scam, ah!' At which point Brix tells Pete that Mark says to f*ck off or he'll tear his head off and sh*t down his neck. It brought a smile to my face, anyway.
There was also a cartoon in a fairly recent Viz about a girl who sees the Fall on TV, and asks her Mum how she can be in a band like that. Mark E.Smith sticks his head through the window and proceeds to tell her all about buying an instrument and learning to play it and joining a band, and then invites her to join the Fall, at which point he then says he's bored of her now and sacks her.

[quote name='spongebob' post='322800' date='Nov 5 2008, 05:08 PM']A decent P Pup? My abbreviation knowlege needs some work! What's that?

But I do hear that the new LP is a corker![/quote]

+1 for Stephen Hanley. Surprised 'Bremen' hasn't dropped in on this thread yet to pay respect to the mighty Fall.
As well as precisions, over the years he's also used a Peavey T-40 & a Stingray, but he always had a thunderous sound live usually, through a cranked up SVT.

IMHO his duration in the band was definitely their glory years. my favourite album for his playing & input is 'Middle Class Revolt'
Great track this one:

Cheers

Edited by nick

Respect to Steve Hanley who was a big influence when I was a kid and almost made it to my top 3 bass players on another thread (cruelly ousted by Aston 'Familyman' Barrett).

I saw them a couple of times and Steve was playing a black precision and an Ampeg stack with the usual fabulous sound.

Best gig was in Cambridge around the late 80's (one of only two gigs they played that year) and they were awesome.

[quote name='nick' post='322924' date='Nov 5 2008, 07:54 PM']+1 for Stephen Hanley. Surprised 'Bremen' hasn't dropped in on this thread yet to pay respect to the mighty Fall.
As well as precisions, over the years he's also used a Peavey T-40 & a Stingray, but he always had a thunderous sound live usually, through a cranked up SVT.

IMHO his duration in the band was definitely their glory years. my favourite album for his playing & input is 'Middle Class Revolt'
Great track this one:

Cheers[/quote]

Hello!

I saw them many times and he used various gear including Trace and Ampeg, and always a Precision (though I have seen a vid of him using a MM). I suspect he didn't much care what he used but he always got a great big raw sound.

Yes, MCR is one of my favourites for his sound, playing and influence. Just about every track. Smif was quoted as saying 'if it was me and me granny on bongoes it'd still be the Fall' but Shanley's influence on MCR is huge.

Love Hip Priest&Kamerads too.