Why become a member? ×

Digitized 78RPM Records

Rumple

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this before? it's a huge collection of digitized 78's that are downloadable.

I've just had a listen to some Ray Brown and a version of Tiger Rag by Muggsy Spanier :)

[url="https://archive.org/details/georgeblood&tab=collection"]HERE[/url]

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1502484203' post='3351837']
Excellent. If you're interested the Smithsonian Institute website has a vast resource of free dowlnloads of out-of-copyright 78s and wax cylinders, it's amazing stuff. I'll try and find the link.
[/quote]

Fill your boots!

http://www.folkways.si.edu/download-support/smithsonian

Before anyone asks, NO there aren't any of my early recordings on there!!!

P.S. Didnt find "Barnacle Bill The Sailor" either. Shame. I would love to find the original version of that. Had it on a 10" 78 when I was a kid.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1502528536' post='3351991']
Before anyone asks, NO there aren't any of my early recordings on there!!!

P.S. Didnt find "Barnacle Bill The Sailor" either. Shame. I would love to find the original version of that. Had it on a 10" 78 when I was a kid.
[/quote]

A quick search on YouTube brings up several versions 😊

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1502531626' post='3352027']
If any of you are on Twitter then you can follow the archive [url="https://twitter.com/great78project"]HERE[/url]
[/quote]

If I was on Twitter I'd likely be twittering about it and you'd already know but I forgive you anyway. That link in the OP is an elegant sufficiency thank you.

Heeheehee

I changed my mind about the Smithsonian link that PGB's post links out to. When I went in there for a non committal browse I kept getting teasers but nothing like the content that is in the 78 archive. Lots and lots of yakkity yak though. If I was willing to subscribe to the Smithsonian site it might be better. I'm not.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1502555954' post='3352195']...
*sigh* Then we will have arguments over whether blackthorn is better than chrome plated steel for needles.
[/quote]

There's no argument to be had, there. Spines from Pacific sea urchins or nothing, obviously. :mellow: