Why become a member? ×

Newtone strings

lozbass

I took delivery of some Newtone strings on Saturday - first impressions of the strings and company are excellent. I'd had a real struggle finding strings for a 30.75" scale (with a couple of inches to be added from bridge to string retainer). After using a hybrid of two sets to get the length and guages I was looking for (an expensive option requiring acquisition of custom made brass gromets to accommodate the small ball end on a couple of strings from a baritone set!), I went to Newtone for a solution. I forwarded a very detailed spec for unusual guages, length, custom winding and custom silking (both ends of the string) and two sets were delivered within around three weeks. They appear to be beautifully made with fantastic attention to detail (I could even select the silking colour). Of course, they're not cheap but not really much more expensive than standard high-quality strings. I'll have set fitted in a few weeks and post again...my first impressions are extremely good, but who knows until I get to play them! Does anyone else on here have any experience? I'd say that the company is definitely worth a try if you have very specific requirements or a problem instrument.

I didnn't know they did siliking, is it more pennies? Had a bit of hassle with them sending to my old address as they didn't look at paypal delivery instructions second time I bought them, but excellent product. They work out the same or cheaper than buying a 5 string tapered set and chucking the G for me.

The silking on my recent sets is beautifully executed (and I could choose the colour!) As indicated above, I needed silking at the ball end and above and beyond the taper. I don't think that I payed much more for the silking - probably a few pence. In fact, for the (apparent) quality, the strings weren't really expensive at all. I'd had a real struggle with lengths and guages (my bass is really quite unusual) but Newtone was able to work to a very detailed spec and fulfil everything without any hassle - a real breath of fresh air. (I hope you got the address problem resolved!)

I tried Newtones a few years back. As a company they were helpful and accomodating but I found that the string life was poor. Also when they "died" - they really died!

It was a few years ago, so designs may have changed ...!

I think NewTone strings are fantastic! - The guys made me a custom set of strings for my 7 string bass, tuned F# to C. The strings are amazingly zingy and stay 'new' sounding for a long while. I can't remember who I was in touch with at NewTone, but they were ALWAYS happy to help and no job seemed to difficult to sort out. Incidently, they worked on a custom F# string for me, to balance gauge, tension and tuning. It worked!

I am however endorsed by the Bass Centre now and amongst other benefits, they supply Elite strings.

I find that they are excellent strings from my experience, but the high F on my 7 string ALWAYS snaps before reaching tension :/ I have a Roto F on at the moment because I know it doesn't snap... Overwater are next on my list to try for 7 string sets. But yes, excellent service at any rate :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='322584' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:23 PM']I find that they are excellent strings from my experience, but the high F on my 7 string ALWAYS snaps before reaching tension :/ I have a Roto F on at the moment because I know it doesn't snap... Overwater are next on my list to try for 7 string sets. But yes, excellent service at any rate :)[/quote]

What gauge are you using for your high F mate? I have used the unwound .20 from rotosound and found that the wound 20 from Elites is also good and doesnt snap up to tension.

[quote name='Finbar' post='322584' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:23 PM']I find that they are excellent strings from my experience, but the high F on my 7 string ALWAYS snaps before reaching tension :/ I have a Roto F on at the moment because I know it doesn't snap... Overwater are next on my list to try for 7 string sets. But yes, excellent service at any rate :)[/quote]

If they snap before even reaching tension, surely that's a fault with the product? Have you tried talking to them about it?

Not the same company, i know, but i had/have a set of status strings (which are also brilliant) on which the G string snapped before reaching tension; i emailed them and they sent me a new one free of charge (which has, fingers crossed, now lasted for months - still sounding great too). I'd imagine Newtone would probably have a similar customer support philosophy?

7 strings ! What are you thinking - that's just too many strings - it's a bass you know :-)