Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinions on these Fender's??

Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='321696' date='Nov 4 2008, 12:17 PM']....this is the reason to get another fretted bass that I can use and abuse if need be....[/quote]
OK, then, I'd find a Squire that you really like to play and change the electrics if you really need to. You'll get a cheap bass that feels good, sounds good and can be thrown about!

The current run of Mexican Fender jazz standards are excellent, but as mentioned earlier, you need to try before you buy. I've found Mex's in stores that out play the Americans, but also really rough MIM's as well. Get a good one & you'll get yourself a bargain. There's also the Mexican made classic series 70's jazz bass with the block inlays, binding & repositioned bridge pickup.

[quote name='WarPig' post='321904' date='Nov 4 2008, 04:18 PM']Dave, any chance of more pics of your HW-1? Ive wanted one for years and think the wine red is soooo sexy.[/quote]

Ok. I'll take some in a while. its in a bit of a state at the moment. As you can see the pick guard is off although i quite like the look and its covered in dust.
I do love the colour of it though, just not the Jazz tone any more.

[quote name='WarPig' post='321904' date='Nov 4 2008, 04:18 PM']Dave, any chance of more pics of your HW-1? Ive wanted one for years and think the wine red is soooo sexy.[/quote]

Would love to see more piccies also, especially with the pickguard on it :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='321945' date='Nov 4 2008, 04:49 PM']Would love to see more piccies also, especially with the pickguard on it :)[/quote]

Ok, ill put the PG back on tomorrow and then take some pics. The Bass is in storage at work and the PG is "somewhere" at home.
It does look good with the Black PG on though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='323738' date='Nov 6 2008, 09:20 PM']Ok guys. As requested. A few of my HW-1 Jazz. Please excuse the reflections. Ive not got the hang of getting shots without them yet.

[/quote]

WOW, that looks stunning. However, are you sure thats Wine red? Looks more like a Trans red.

At the moment I am leaning towards the Fender Jazz 70's re-issue although the Highway One looks stunning. Thanks for the photo's.

[quote name='Linus27' post='323771' date='Nov 6 2008, 09:59 PM']WOW, that looks stunning. However, are you sure thats Wine red? Looks more like a Trans red.

At the moment I am leaning towards the Fender Jazz 70's re-issue although the Highway One looks stunning. Thanks for the photo's.[/quote]

Actually im not sure what red they call it although as you have said, it is transparent. Its certainly not CAR though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='323774' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:04 PM']Actually im not sure what red they call it although as you have said, it is transparent. Its certainly not CAR though.[/quote]

OK, I think I have got the colour sussed. The Highway One comes in Transparent Wine which I think is what colour yours bass is. Midnight Wine is the other colour Fender do and is a very very dark deep red that shows no wood grain.

[quote name='Linus27' post='323787' date='Nov 6 2008, 10:23 PM']OK, I think I have got the colour sussed. The Highway One comes in Transparent Wine which I think is what colour yours bass is. Midnight Wine is the other colour Fender do and is a very very dark deep red that shows no wood grain.[/quote]

Yeah, that rings a bell. nice one.

Yesterday I finally went out and ended up buying a MIM 70's Re-issue Jazz. It's a superb bass that sounds and play amazing. I went to try it out but could not see it in the shop so I tried a few others on my list. First I had a go on a standard MIM jazz. It was ok but nothing brilliant and I did not feel I wanted to waste £350 on it. The neck just felt a bit chunky and the whole bass felt un-inspiring. I then tried the MIM Precision and this actually felt much nicer. The neck felt thiner but still I felt I did not want to waste £350 on this bass. Next I tried the Squire Vintage Modified Jazz which certainly looked the best but I was not happy with it. The neck was again, very chunky which I kind of expected. OK, I would had bought it as for the money, you can't expect a top line bass but I still wanted to look around. I then asked the assistant if he had a the MIM 70's re-issue jazz. He said he would have to get a new one from upstairs. So out it came, brand new still boxed and wrapped up. As it was un-packed and handed to me, I immediatly felt the neck was far thinner and more of a jazz feel and profile. I got to play it through an Ashdown which is what I own and it sounded superb. Punchy, clear, powerful. The feel was great. Very retro and very vintage. The fret lines are pretty fat and high but I guess this is authentic to the 70's feel. I immediatly felt at home with it. However, I wanted to compare a Musicman as this was on my list. Again, the Musicman felt great but equally as great as the Fender 70's re-issue jazz. The Musicman had a more distinct sound and was a bit more punchy but also a thinner sound. The neck profile was also a lot flater which was ok. In fact, the neck felt exactly the same as my Squire Vintage fretless jazz. In the end I chose the MIM 70's Re-issue Jazz because it seemed to suit me better and was more of a versatile everyday work horse type of bass.

When I got home yesterday, I compared it to my ESP which is a superb sounding Jazz and I would say its on par with it sound wise. Maybe a bit brighter and punchier. The neck is not as thin but I am happy about that as its nice to have some variety. Playing wise it is simply superb. I can recommend this bass to anyone who is after a decent jazz bass. Plus it looks super cool. Here is a picture of it lined up next to my Black ESP 400 Jazz, Squire Vintage Fretless and Stagg EUB.

[attachment=15739:DSC03939.JPG]

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='The Burpster' post='325240' date='Nov 9 2008, 12:46 PM']Nice MIMs are out there... well done sounds a good 'un.....[/quote]

Yes I think I was lucky. The cut out for the bridge pickup is a little bit bigger than it should be so there is an even gap on one side but to me this was less important to how it felt and played. The neck is superb so I thought its better to get a good neck that get one that had perfect pickups cutouts.

[quote name='Linus27' post='325263' date='Nov 9 2008, 01:39 PM']Yes I think I was lucky. The cut out for the bridge pickup is a little bit bigger than it should be so there is an even gap on one side but to me this was less important to how it felt and played. The neck is superb so I thought its better to get a good neck that get one that had perfect pickups cutouts.[/quote]

Nice one and i agree, its the feel and tone for me over looks (although that is also important).
Although im not in to vitage instruments all the 70's style basses ive played have been great and i do seem to prefer them over the 50's styles ones.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='325317' date='Nov 9 2008, 03:19 PM']Nice one and i agree, its the feel and tone for me over looks (although that is also important).
Although im not in to vitage instruments all the 70's style basses ive played have been great and i do seem to prefer them over the 50's styles ones.[/quote]

I really wanted to try one of the 50's re-issue precisions but not found one in a shop yet. No idea if they are any good though. Maybe I should start a new thread asking about them :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='325324' date='Nov 9 2008, 03:28 PM']I really wanted to try one of the 50's re-issue precisions but not found one in a shop yet. No idea if they are any good though. Maybe I should start a new thread asking about them :)[/quote]

The MIM 50's Classic is very highly regarded. I had one for a few days though and hated it.
It looks great and sounds good but the neck was a monster, at least to me. Couldn't get on with it at all. Thats when i went for the HW-one P instead as its got a slightly slimmer neck.
And thats coming from playing a 5 string for almost two years.