Why become a member? ×

Advice on learning basic guitar skills

mr.noisy

Yes, you read that right!

If you google that topic, there is a bunch of results for guitarist trying to take our job and play bass whenever they can, but there is nothing the other way around.

I am playing bass for over 10 years now and I want to buy a cheap guitar and learn some basics. Not because I want to go and steal guitarists gigs :D, but for my own needs. I am a producer and one of the things I am missing is to have a guitar available for when I need it (when I am in the zone) to record some chords and maybe some simple melodies.

Any advice on where to start, maybe some book advice etc. There is thousands of books, websites etc so I'd like to get some tips what to get after purchasing the guitar. Just want to point out that I do not need any method that is covering music theory etc, I can read, I know my scales and chords, I am looking for pure technical stuff, how to play certain chords and voicings etc.

Will appreciate any help on that topic.

[quote name='mr.noisy' timestamp='1499595399' post='3332373']...
Will appreciate any help on that topic.
[/quote]

You could do worse that this, for the very modest cost...

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Mickey-Bakers-Complete-Course-Guitar/0825652804"]Mickey Baker's Complete Course In Jazz Guitar ..[/url]

Don't be put off by the title; have a look inside (or buy it on 'spec; it's worth every penny, whatever...), and give it a go. I bought this (in ignorance, at the time...) nearly fifty years ago, and still go through it now and again (I've bought it several times over, as copies got lost or worn out...). There is a Book 2, which is equally excellent, but start off with the first one, then go wild and splash out on the follow-up when you're ready.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps. B)

YouTube is great for stuff, some rubbish obviously but some brilliant stuff. I am entirely self taught on the bass and found some brilliant tutorials on there. You will quickly work out who is worth listening to and who isn't.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1499596306' post='3332382']
You could do worse that this, for the very modest cost...

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Mickey-Bakers-Complete-Course-Guitar/0825652804"]Mickey Baker's Complete Course In Jazz Guitar ..[/url]

Don't be put off by the title; have a look inside (or buy it on 'spec; it's worth every penny, whatever...), and give it a go. I bought this (in ignorance, at the time...) nearly fifty years ago, and still go through it now and again (I've bought it several times over, as copies got lost or worn out...). There is a Book 2, which is equally excellent, but start off with the first one, then go wild and splash out on the follow-up when you're ready.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps. B)
[/quote]

It's quite cheap so I will probably give it a try. Jazz in the title is not putting me off, I am heavily into funk / fusion stuff so that's pretty close.

EDIT: Just got it off amazon, they offered me another Prime trial for free and got same day delivery, will have this book delivered today :D

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1499596680' post='3332389']
YouTube is great for stuff, some rubbish obviously but some brilliant stuff. I am entirely self taught on the bass and found some brilliant tutorials on there. You will quickly work out who is worth listening to and who isn't.
[/quote]

I guess the biggest problem with this for me is the time. Youtube can be invaluable resource, but finding a good one takes time now as there is so many people following up successful online tutors.

Edited by mr.noisy

[quote name='mr.noisy' timestamp='1499597612' post='3332399']

I guess the biggest problem with this for me is the time. Youtube can be invaluable resource, but finding a good one takes time now as there is so many people following up successful online tutors.
[/quote]

You can't go far wrong with the great Larry Carlton.

[url="https://www.google.ie/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=larry+carlton+lessons&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=7w1iWcnNIKyVgAb3lJ2YDQ#q=larry+carlton+lessons+youtube"]larry carlton lessons youtube[/url]

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1499598531' post='3332408']
You can't go far wrong with the great Larry Carlton.

[url="https://www.google.ie/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=larry+carlton+lessons&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=7w1iWcnNIKyVgAb3lJ2YDQ#q=larry+carlton+lessons+youtube"]larry carlton lessons youtube[/url]
[/quote]

Thank you, I know the name and I am sure these will be a great lessons.
However, I'd like to point out again that I am looking more for basic skills, not soloing or improv concepts. As I have mentioned, I want to learn just enough so I can record some basic melody and chords over the tunes that I am producing and these are more in funk / hip hop style, without having to beg some of my guitarist friends to come over and do it for me.

EDIT:
What a world we live in today. Posted this in the morning, got a great advice right away, ordered a book, and got it delivered 5 minutes ago, and it's Sunday!

Thank you Dad3353, it looks like I will have enough work for a long time with this book and I think that is what I really wanted, and I am sure that I will be able to apply what I will learn from that into my needs.

Edited by mr.noisy

I've been playing acoustic and electric guitars since I was 12, 4 years longer than i've been playing bass and have scoured You Tube for the best beginners tutorials for my 10 year old daughter. The best I've found is JustinGuitar, an English geezer. He explains things very well and you can also pick up some of his excellent tutorial books from music shops.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe

[quote name='mr.noisy' timestamp='1499599609' post='3332411']...
Thank you Dad3353, it looks like I will have enough work for a long time with this book and I think that is what I really wanted, and I am sure that I will be able to apply what I will learn from that into my needs.
[/quote]

My usual words of encouragement apply, to this as with so many endeavours...
It's the first forty years that are the worst, after which things sometimes tend to get (slightly...) better. :mellow:
Have fun. B)

Edited by Dad3353