Why become a member? ×

The Absolute Monster Gentlemen

Danuman

Just wanted to share: I've long wanted to go see Jon Cleary and his band and yesterday I lucked out. I managed to grab a ticket and went to see them in Rotterdam at the North Sea Jazz festival.

Sadly, I couldn't get into the (rather smallish) tent to see Richard Bona, but I'm so happy to have seen the Gentlemen.

If you don't know Cornell Williams, do check him out. Brilliantly fun player, and the rest of the band equally live up to their band's name. :)

They'll be playing some UK gigs soon:
http://www.joncleary.com/tour/

I'm going to see them on Friday in Bristol.

Glad to hear the AMG are with him as it was not clear on the listing if he was with a Band. I saw them years ago in Ripley, Yorks., apparently the guitarist had to be winched onto the stage as he was so big he could not climb the steps!

I've seen JC in Central Park solo, with the AMG and as keys with Bonnie Raitt too. Looking on his website he'll do a gig at your house, think it is $5000. If however you want an executive producer credit on his album that will cost you $25,000!

Fabulously funky band, makes Jools Holland look like a beginner!

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1499695456' post='3332976']
Fearsome indeed!

The listing for North Sea Jazz was also under Jon Cleary, but Manchester has them billed as a quartet, so I suppose they're all tagging along. :)
[/quote]

Could be just him and the guitarist!

Well I eventually got to the gig last night, nightmare travelling from South Somerset to Bristol as the main A37 was closed just outside the outskirts and long diversion.....!

Unfortunately, as the aforementioned guitarist Derwin 'Big D' Perkins was not with them, there was another keyboard player who blocked my view of Cornell Williams on Bass. Not sure if this has been the band line-up for a while, but got the feeling they were 'jamming out' some numbers in the absence of guitar? That said they were sh*t hot, the drummer was immense, as were all the Band to be fair. They all look to genuinely enjoy what they are doing, with lots of quips and banter in between the songs. Great harmonies and just so so funky. Just missed a bit of guitar cutting through.....

Well this afternoon they were back about one and a half hours down the road, so I just couldn't pass up the chance of seeing them again.

Unfortunately, their New'Awlins cadences proved a bit too sophisticated for this audience. (The term flogging a dead horse comes to mind.) It was, however, a free festival, so I suppose that had something to do with the mismatch.
On top of that the sound engineers were utter tools. During the gig, various vocal mics and instruments cut out - all of them at least once, sometimes for minutes - only to return way too loud.

They really had to earn this one.

Still, they pressed on gracefully and they even got the crowd to move a bit near the end. Great band, wrong festival.

Oh, and I too got to shake Cornell Williams' hand! Such an awesome player. :)

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1500233852' post='3336392']
Well this afternoon they were back about one and a half hours down the road, so I just couldn't pass up the chance of seeing them again.

Unfortunately, their New'Awlins cadences proved a bit too sophisticated for this audience. (The term flogging a dead horse comes to mind.) It was, however, a free festival, so I suppose that had something to do with the mismatch.
On top of that the sound engineers were utter tools. During the gig, various vocal mics and instruments cut out - all of them at least once, sometimes for minutes - only to return way too loud.

They really had to earn this one.

Still, they pressed on gracefully and they even got the crowd to move a bit near the end. Great band, wrong festival.

Oh, and I too got to shake Cornell Williams' hand! Such an awesome player. :)
[/quote]

Was it the '2 keyboards' lineup or had the Guitar resurfaced?

We overheard Cornell Williams explaining to someone that Big D had other engagements, so it was the same lineup with Nigel Hall on organ. (By the way, that guy can sing! Shame he didn't get more time to do it.)

Edited by Danuman