Why become a member? ×

Best octave pedal on the market?

William James Easton

Digitech Bass Synth Wah - Can be used as a stand alone octave pedal, the tracking is awesome.

Boss OC-2 - Not as good tracking as the BSW, but I've owned both and it's the OC-2's tone that kept it on my board.

EHX Micro POG - Haven't tried it, but gets very good reviews. Tracks anything you can throw at it, including chords, but a bit more expensive than the other two options.

Those are the three I feel would be the best bet!

[quote name='Higgie' post='320576' date='Nov 2 2008, 11:15 PM']Digitech Bass Synth Wah - Can be used as a stand alone octave pedal, the tracking is awesome.

Boss OC-2 - Not as good tracking as the BSW, but I've owned both and it's the OC-2's tone that kept it on my board.

EHX Micro POG - Haven't tried it, but gets very good reviews. Tracks anything you can throw at it, including chords, but a bit more expensive than the other two options.

Those are the three I feel would be the best bet![/quote]

Yeah, what he said/I said :)

Digitech can only output a blend of octave down plus your dry signal, while others can solo the octave down, which sounds awesome on the Boss OC-2. EHX Octave Multiplexer apparently sounds very similar to the Boss. The later Boss OC-3 doesn't get as good reviews by the way.

The OC-2 sounds like a synth so is great for dance or drum'n'bass. The Micro POG though is more like a pitch shifted version of your bass, tracks better and also has an octave up feature.

[quote name='ahpook' post='320584' date='Nov 2 2008, 11:27 PM']i just got hold of a pearl oc-7 octaver and it sounds really good to my ears...very fast tracking.[/quote]

Good luck finding another one of those.

My vote goes to the Foxrox Octron, fastest analog tracking octaver available and about the same price as the Micro Pog. Best tone of them all as well

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='320656' date='Nov 3 2008, 07:56 AM']Digitech can only output a blend of octave down plus your dry signal, while others can solo the octave down, which sounds awesome on the Boss OC-2. EHX Octave Multiplexer apparently sounds very similar to the Boss. The later Boss OC-3 doesn't get as good reviews by the way.

The OC-2 sounds like a synth so is great for dance or drum'n'bass. The Micro POG though is more like a pitch shifted version of your bass, tracks better and also has an octave up feature.[/quote]

You can do 100% wet octave down on the digitech

[quote name='ahpook' post='320584' date='Nov 2 2008, 11:27 PM']i just got hold of a pearl oc-7 octaver and it sounds really good to my ears...very fast tracking.[/quote]

A good find.
They are a good octaver & quite rare now - definitely worth holding on to.
Spotted one on Ebay over in the states only last week, seller wanted $200 BIN! :)
Admittedly quite an optimistic price, but gives you an idea that they're not that common.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='320656' date='Nov 3 2008, 07:56 AM']..... which sounds awesome on the Boss OC-2. EHX Octave Multiplexer apparently sounds very similar to the Boss.[/quote]

I can hear differences between OC2 & EHX myself.
They both sound synthy, but the Multiplexer has definitely got a warmer sound. Plus with the High & Low filter controls & the sub switch, which brings in a fuzzy squarewave tone, I think there's a bit more scope in sound shaping.
Tracking on both are not that brilliant, but think you just have to compensate a bit in playing style.