Why become a member? ×

Nile Rodgers

Cato

I cant stand inappropriate flashiness either. It's more difficult to come up with a fluid but memorably melodic solo than to reel off high speeds runs based on the pentatonic scale etc. Old Nile's a fine example of a player doing exactly what fits the tune. For my money his rhythm playing on Chic Organisation tunes has no equal

My only question is....why were Chic not headlining? I love playing Funk/disco live but never been a fan of listening to it at home as entertainment, but that was sheer class. Great musicians clearly enjoying every second, and nailing it. Yea the bass solo was OTT but Nile is the boss and he wanted it, and for the punters it seemed to hit the spot. And Mr Rodgers? what a fantastic rhythm player, a one man groove factory.

I never quite understand people being called a 'rhythm' guitarist - surely they are just a 'guitarist'?
And Nile Rodgers is simply a superb guitarist, full stop.

Keith Richards nailed it when he once said that you don't go into a music store and ask to try a rhythm guitar.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1499179046' post='3329739']
I never quite understand people being called a 'rhythm' guitarist - surely they are just a 'guitarist'?
And Nile Rodgers is simply a superb guitarist, full stop.

Keith Richards nailed it when he once said that you don't go into a music store and ask to try a rhythm guitar.
[/quote]

Well, yes and no. I don't recall him riffing out or playing a solo at Glastonbury, he was playing rhythm in the truest sense of the word, and driving the band. He is a great guitarist, no doubt, but for me the best part of his guitar playing is his rhythm playing. That's what I was getting at.

I do tend to like guitarists who have a good rhythmic style, yet can solo well too - Keith Richards, Pete Townshend,
Mike Campbell, Wilko Johnson etc. It's amazing how many guitarists just can't nail that side of things.

I saw Tom Jones at the weekend, and he had an amazing guitarist in his band - Scott McKeon.
Did it all just brilliantly, the best player I've seen for a long time. [url="http://www.scottmckeonmusic.com/bio/"]http://www.scottmckeonmusic.com/bio/[/url]

Edited by casapete