Why become a member? ×

Small wonders: Markbass 801 or Phil Jones CUB?

highwayman

I'm after a small quality combo, something that stows in my wardrobe; the two that I have in mind are the Markbass Micromark 801 or the Phil Jones Bass The Cub.
I'd like to try them in person, but I'd also like to seek the opinion/experience of my fellow Basschatters.

Things to take into account: I play a Stingray (modern) Classic; soundwise think disco/eighties/Synthwave.

I'd prefer punchy over subtle, but still true to the instrument's actual sound.

I'd have also considered the Phil Jones Briefcase but I don't think that new or old versions have an input to play accompanying recorded music through?

Cheers

Edited by highwayman

I have a Cub

It's good, gets pretty punchy and I play mainly rock, it carries a clean sound, but has taken my pedals well of a little grit.
I use it to rehearse and we use an electric kit.

Best thing is the line out and you can expand it to the PB 100/300 powered speakers to extend the sound.
You could also use the line out into any power amp and cab so essentially using it as a monitor and having the main sound pumping elsewhere.

Good piece of kit.

I was just typing some sort of "review" for the Ashdown B-Social.
I've never played thru the two models you talk about but I know the small Markbass... don't like the fact there's basically no tone control.
Pretty happy with the B-Social... if you can make an use of its extra features it's definitely great. For "just amp" work, not sure. But sounds great, very transparent and detailed.

Might the Cub be a little low powered? The PJ Flightcase is still very compact and has a bit more oomph - 4 drivers as opposed to two. They come up used occasionally - you should get one for the price of a new Cub - and tend to be owned by jazzers and people who don't abuse them (as was mine).

I have an Markbass 801 and it's great, although I just use it for home practice (if not using my 3Leaf headphone amp), or very small rehearsals. I wouldn't gig it really, unless it was a very quiet acoustic gig. As mentioned, no real tonal controls other than the VPF (Variable Reshaped Filter), which is fine for what I need it for.
Other than that, it sounds great, as an Aux In, Headphone out etc

Not tried the PJ

Si

[i]"The PJ Flightcase is still very compact and has a bit more oomph" [/i]

I'm actually leaning towards the BJB Briefcase, though the lack of an input jack to allow me to play music from my phone through during practice (and eventually performing solo) is a sticking point - any suggestions around that please?

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1497284022' post='3317025']
[i]"The PJ Flightcase is still very compact and has a bit more oomph" [/i]

I'm actually leaning towards the BJB Briefcase, though the lack of an input jack to allow me to play music from my phone through during practice (and eventually performing solo) is a sticking point - any suggestions around that please?
[/quote]

Cheap xenys 502 mixer, DI out into this and aux in to the mixer and headphone out the mixer, all done plus if want to record you can do this

Edited by Cuzzie

Thanks for the replies!

Matte_black, it's a consideration, but the Briefcase seems to be rugged enough to take out of the flat, while the B-Social strikes me as a home piece of kit (especially with the open speakers).

Cuzzie, I like your thinking, though ideally I'd like something smaller and that doesn't need an external power source (I've started a thread on this specific subject on the technical section).

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1497289023' post='3317078']
Cheap xenys 502 mixer, DI out into this and aux in to the mixer and headphone out the mixer, all done plus if want to record you can do this
[/quote]

This is also a good idea. When I practice, I run my bass direct, via a DI box, into my mixer and listen on headphones to avoid upsetting the neighbours and of course, it's no bother to incorporate a CD player, MP3 or whatever. A good pair of closed back phones - I use Beyer DT770s - will give you a fabulous bass tone (and also spoil you for live work when you realise you can't get that sound out of your live rig)
:(

Edited by Dan Dare