Why become a member? ×

P bass pickups

6h5g

[quote name='The Burpster' post='317934' date='Oct 29 2008, 09:00 PM']SD, Barts, Schaller or Wizard..... tried 'em all... there are all better than std.....[/quote]

I'm also interested in replacing the pick ups on my P Bass as it's a very cheap fender copy (Only cost £50 on ebay but it seems OK to me) and I'm told that an upgrade will improve the sound. Hoever, given that funds are limited, what would be a good but fairly cheap replacement for my existing ones.

Pete
Cumbria

Punch and high end? Seymore Duncan Quarter Pounder will probably be the one you want then.

Or you can ring up Wizard Pickups (UK), where a p-pup will set you back £70, but they're happy to offer advice and custom wind pickups to how you tell them you want it to sound.

[quote name='Peter Train' post='318669' date='Oct 30 2008, 09:37 PM']I'm also interested in replacing the pick ups on my P Bass as it's a very cheap fender copy (Only cost £50 on ebay but it seems OK to me) and I'm told that an upgrade will improve the sound. Hoever, given that funds are limited, what would be a good but fairly cheap replacement for my existing ones.

Pete
Cumbria[/quote]

Pete,

As this is an upgrade and your P is working OK for the time being, ( I understand about not shellig out loads!) keep looking in the for sale ads below, P pups come up regularly..... US Fender OEM pups will be better than you have or a 2nd hand set of SDs as above, 1/4 pounders are really fat and loud but there are esveral other SD options as well that will make a huge difference to your current set up.....

How does that sound?

[quote name='The Burpster' post='318810' date='Oct 31 2008, 08:50 AM']Pete,

As this is an upgrade and your P is working OK for the time being, ( I understand about not shellig out loads!) keep looking in the for sale ads below, P pups come up regularly..... US Fender OEM pups will be better than you have or a 2nd hand set of SDs as above, 1/4 pounders are really fat and loud but there are esveral other SD options as well that will make a huge difference to your current set up.....

How does that sound?[/quote]

Sounds like a great tip to me. Although it's a ceap one I really like my bass and get a lot of pleasure from playing it with friends.

Cheers
Pete

I've got a SD Quarter Pounder on mine. It's OK, but the E string is very whumpy for about the first three/four frets. I don't know why, so I just live with it. There just seems to be a lot of bass and additional output from those notes. I've swapped over the pickups and it's just the same.

Might try something else at some stage.
P

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the older DiMarzio (with Allen key poles) in my Pbass - its very good. Does the P thing fine, but has more oomph and is a bit "darker" than standard. My bass originally had a SD Quarterpounder which (whilst impressive and aggressive) didn't sound like a Pbass to me. The SD vintage version is also a great sounding pickup.

BB

For guitars, there are a selection of cheap but reputably quality pickups such as Irongear and ... and ... those made in Australia pickups.

There seems to be a much smaller range of cheaper "name" pickups for bass. EMG Select pickups being one example, but the reviews I've read seem very mixed.

Otherwise, Wilkinson pickups are widely available and are cheap. Available for 5 and 6 string basses too. But, how good are they?

Edited by Annoying Twit