Why become a member? ×

Does anyone play Riders on the Storm correctly?

Yukimajou

[quote name='Yukimajou' timestamp='1496222283' post='3309601']
Jerry (their session bassist on all albums except the first) said that you couldn't play that and had to do some gymnastics with his fingers to play it.
[/quote]

Hmmmm. You've got that exactly the wrong way round. Far from playing "on all albums except the first", Jerry played on NO albums except the last.

Close, though.

[quote name='Yukimajou' timestamp='1496222283' post='3309601']
This [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3deQXzV-qTk"]You Tube video[/url] of Ray talking about Riders ...
[/quote]

Yes, I saw that video some time ago. I'm sure that Ray Manzarek is a lovely fella with a terrific fund of stories, but it's pretty clear that some of these stories have ... erm ... [i]improved [/i]over the years.

Jerry Scheff in 1971 was a fully-trained musician on several instruments and a very experienced and highly sought-after session player.

The idea that he would struggle with a two-chord bass line moving between Em and A is utterly ludicrous.

How ludicrous?

Well that's one of my favourite songs and one of favourite bass lines. When I first learned to play bass (not as long ago as you might think) I was playing this bassline within months of first picking up the instrument.

I'm no musical prodigy, and nowhere near as talented as Jerry Scheff. I'm also not a fully-trained musician. Bizarrely, I'm not even a highly sought-after session player. Life is so unfair.

As Jimi Hendrix once said, you shouldn't believe everything you find on the Internet.

The conclusions I draw from this thread are:

Tab is rarely correct.

Sheet music is usually written by piano players who are getting paid by the sheet and who know no one is ever going to check what they wrote down.

Acid and time changes a lot of memories.

Check out your assumptions before you go into print. Inaccuracies will come back and bit you on the arse in no time.

In music you should trust your ears before believing your eyes.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1496395124' post='3311011']
Must say I always thought it a bit weird that Scheff, who did all those ridiculous fills with precision & speed at the end of the live vs of Suspicious Minds, would struggle with Riders.
[/quote]

I've played some ridiculous stuff with a Precision and speed..........