Why become a member? ×

Broken jack lead

Oscar South

The end of a jack lead came off and remained inside the jack socket of my Hartke HA3500 head today, there is no way to get it out and there are no places that repair amps within my travelling radius so I'll need to replace the socket. Can I just replace it with any jack plug or do I need to get something specific?

Thanks,
Oscar.

The jack sockets are enclosed units and they are soldered to a daughterboard. You'll have to undo the two retaining nuts on the jack sockets to get it out, then remove the connector from the main board and remove the screw which holds the earth connection near the valve.

After that, you will have to desolder the jack socket in question. You may be able to push the broken jack plug out after that, or you may opt to replace it.

You might be able to drill a little hole through the end of the socket in line with the axis of the plug and use some thin proddy thing to push the bit of plug out.

Spare jack sockets can be a right pain to find, not to mention cost a lot. One or two of my jack-socket-equipped devices have had plain ordinary jack sockets as replacements for the originals, with short flying leads to the PCB, although sometimes that's not possible.

[quote name='tauzero' post='321628' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:59 AM']Spare jack sockets can be a right pain to find, not to mention cost a lot. One or two of my jack-socket-equipped devices have had plain ordinary jack sockets as replacements for the originals, with short flying leads to the PCB, although sometimes that's not possible.[/quote]

I've had good experience with the UK distributors of Hartke gear in getting spare parts - they even sent me a replacement knob for nothing!

Try 'em and see what they say:

Sound Technology
[url="http://www.soundtech.co.uk/"]http://www.soundtech.co.uk/[/url]

[quote name='Buzz' post='317209' date='Oct 29 2008, 12:32 AM']Might get away with a dob of superglue on the end of a thin metal rod, prop it in place and allow to dry, might allow enough leverage to pull the end out.[/quote]

Good lateral thinking but superglue needs really flat surfaces to be effective . I would go for a blob of araldite and leave it for 6-12 hours and then try to pull it out.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='321658' date='Nov 4 2008, 11:24 AM']Good lateral thinking but superglue needs really flat surfaces to be effective . I would go for a blob of araldite and leave it for 6-12 hours and then try to pull it out.[/quote]
Making sure that you don't get araldite everywhere and end up glue the broken bit in to the socket at the same time!

What a complete pig of a problem!
Superglue gel (it's better on rough/porous surfaces) on the remaining part of jack might work. drip some on whats left , wipe off the excess and maybe it might mate with whats left inside.

Or if you can get a very thin screw driver open the contact enough to let it drop out...

Or it the remaining piece is hollow find a self tapping screw and if you go careful you might get enough of a bit to pull it out.

it might be worth pulling apart the other end or your knackered lead to see what your dealing with

Good luck

Edited by steve-norris

I looked in the amps forum after this was moved from the main one and it wasn't there so I just assumed it had been deleted, just rediscovered it :huh:.

Thanks for the help everyone, I tried to make a tool to get it out by attaching a bit of rubber to the end of some wire and putting superglue on it, didn't work though, eventually I got a piece of wire and bend it a bit then just poked around inside the jack for about 45 mins and finally got it out :huh:.

Now my amp has started crackling however :), going to take it to a friends house to try out on their cab and see if its the amp itself but I have the feeling its a cone, it it expensive to replace a 10 cone?