Why become a member? ×

My new Rickenbacker (courtesy of Clarky)

Old Horse Murphy

Last weekend I swapped my Fender US P Bass with Clarky for his 1986 Rickenbacker 4003.

I've recently joined a second band that plays a lot of Brit music dating from the 60's, 70's and 80's and toyed with the idea of saving up for a Ric which I thought would compliment the sound we are looking to emulate. Given the prices of Rics currently, this was going to be something I was hoping to achieve soon.

Anyway, cut a long story short, a deal was struck which saw my Fender heading towards Hammersmith and Clarky's Ric heading towards the outskirts of Woking which is surely the cultural home of the Rickenbacker in England!

It's Mapleglo with Black trim (a very dark Mapleglo compared most of the other Rics I've seen in this colour) with a gorgeous grain. It's got Bartolinis fitted to it instead of the orignal stock pickups. The bridge is also a replacement (far better than the stock bridge).

I played it on Saturday night and was blown away by the sound; still very Ric like but more ballsy and growly. The neck is a nice jazz profile. It feels and plays like no other Ric I've tried. I'm really happy with it and it looks great too. I may decide to change it back to its original spec, but at the moment it's for playing.

It compliments my Jazz Bass nicely and offers a whole different array of sounds and vibes.

While I had the camera out, I thought I'd take some pics of my Burgundy Mist 64 Reissue Fender Jazz, which is the nicest playing and sounding Jazz I've ever heard.

And finally, there's a pic of the whole brood together (Ric, Jazz and Shuker "Alice" bass).

I won't say that's it for me as I have done before only to change the whole lot around :) I hope this is it though, although I'd like a Duck Dunn at some stage!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='316928' date='Oct 28 2008, 06:06 PM']While I had the camera out, I thought I'd take some pics of my Burgundy Mist 64 Reissue Fender Jazz, which is the nicest playing and sounding Jazz I've ever heard.[/quote]

Sorry Nick, it's still 'pink'.

Lovely trio. Don't let em fall downstairs :)

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='318508' date='Oct 30 2008, 04:54 PM']Gotta admit tho Nick, if ever I bought another Jazz bass I would love it to be this one.[/quote]

I think I've gott a good'un here Mart. It's currently fitted with Wizard 84's and it sounds amazing.

How's the G&L?

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='318513' date='Oct 30 2008, 04:58 PM']I think I've gott a good'un here Mart. It's currently fitted with Wizard 84's and it sounds amazing.

How's the G&L?[/quote]

I think you have Nick....you've had it for more than 3 months so that's a good sign :)

The G&L hasn't done a gig yet but the signs are good - nice sound and the neck is more to my liking than the DJ5 I had. Made the mistake of playing a SR5 for an hour on Sunday tho and I definately prefer the shallower neck profile on the SR - but I think the G&L will grow on me in time.

[quote name='martthebass' post='318850' date='Oct 31 2008, 10:14 AM']I think you have Nick....you've had it for more than 3 months so that's a good sign :huh:

The G&L hasn't done a gig yet but the signs are good - nice sound and the neck is more to my liking than the DJ5 I had. Made the mistake of playing a SR5 for an hour on Sunday tho and I definately prefer the shallower neck profile on the SR - but I think the G&L will grow on me in time.[/quote]

That's good news. I've yet to try a G&L. It looks a beauty.

PS- Cheeky git :)