Why become a member? ×

Stingray type humbucker hieght

LITTLEWING

Just picked up a rather nice used OLP 4 string and after a quick set up plays very nicely. What I can't work out is what EBMM say on their site - apparently their string to pickup distance is 4.8mm. Seems a bit far away to me unless that type of pup has a very strong magnetic pull. I've not actually had a bass with this type of pup until now so advice would be appreciated.

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1495308251' post='3302916']
Just picked up a rather nice used OLP 4 string and after a quick set up plays very nicely. What I can't work out is what EBMM say on their site - apparently their string to pickup distance is 4.8mm. Seems a bit far away to me unless that type of pup has a very strong magnetic pull. I've not actually had a bass with this type of pup until now so advice would be appreciated.
[/quote]

In the same 'budget Stingray' category I have just got myself an SBMM SB14 which will hopefully land this week.

Well, a little tweaking has improved things no end. I had it set at 2mm G to 2.5mm E (holding each string at the last fret) and it had a slight fret buzz at the 12th fret on the E. Dropped down to 3mm G to 3.5mm on the E and the fret problem has basically gone if I don't dig in too hard. The strong magnet poles were dragging the E down and showing up a slightly raised fret at 13 making 12 rattle. May even try 4mm or even 4.5mm and see what transpires.

Who knew?

Edited by LITTLEWING