Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1980 Musicman Stingray

bigthumb

Hi all. I'm reluctantly putting my old Stingray up for sale, needs must I'm afraid. I've owned the bass for about two years and its hardly ever left the house which is a crying shame. With a change of musical direction I exclusively use Precisions whereas before I only owned Stingrays and this one was more of a trophy bass for home noodling. I'm no huge expert on these but its the string through body type with a 3 bolt neck. It dose have ware and tear with lots of lacquer checking, scuffs etc. But overall its pretty good and looks the absolute dogs! Its so cool.

The photo was takes a few months ago and since the my camera packed up. If anybody's seriously interested and wants some more pics I'll borrow a decent camera for the job.

Theres no original case but I'll sort an old one out. I would really wouldn't want to post the bass as I've had bad experiences with couriers in the past and its quite heavy. Im in Telford Shropshire BTW.

I'm asking £1000 which is what I payed for it. If you have any questions on it I'll do my best to answer them but I guess theres quite a few of you who know a lot more about them than me.

Cheers

Edited by bigthumb

[quote name='budget bassist' post='316361' date='Oct 28 2008, 02:03 AM']sooo who was that then? :huh:[/quote]

:huh:

It's a beaut. Paul, many thanks mate, a rough night for driving all those miles but if you're half as happy as I am with the deal it was worth the drive! The bass is everything I hoped it would be, that is, a 'ray that in build and playability feels like a good '70's Fender. Very different tone to all of my previous EBMMs, much more guts and power (although that might be down to its weighing several tons :) ).
A 70's fretted Precision, a 70's fretless Precision and an early 80's 'ray. I'm now in bass heaven :huh:
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='317105' date='Oct 28 2008, 09:47 PM']:huh:

It's a beaut. Paul, many thanks mate, a rough night for driving all those miles but if you're half as happy as I am with the deal it was worth the drive! The bass is everything I hoped it would be, that is, a 'ray that in build and playability feels like a good '70's Fender. Very different tone to all of my previous EBMMs, much more guts and power (although that might be down to its weighing several tons :) ).
A 70's fretted Precision, a 70's fretless Precision and an early 80's 'ray. I'm now in bass heaven :huh:
Chris[/quote]

Absolutely bloody fantastic! Really, I'm so chuffed you like it mate. And I'm as happy as a pig in poo. That Ray is gorgeous!

I was going to start a post to be first in line when Beedster decides to get rid of this :)

hehe. Let me know when you do!

Although, if this is bass heaven, congrats! It takes years, but I've no desire to buy another bass again...

This bass is a steal Chris good on ya. Now, when can I grab that flight case!

[quote name='Jebo1' post='317247' date='Oct 29 2008, 07:23 AM']I was going to start a post to be first in line when Beedster decides to get rid of this :huh:

hehe. Let me know when you do!

Although, if this is bass heaven, congrats! It takes years, but I've no desire to buy another bass again...

This bass is a steal Chris good on ya. Now, when can I grab that flight case![/quote]

Cheers Lawrie, I'm with you re basses :)
Doubt I'm going to be in the West for a while, any chance you could collect the case from Surrey?
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='317254' date='Oct 29 2008, 07:43 AM']Cheers Lawrie, I'm with you re basses :)
Doubt I'm going to be in the West for a while, any chance you could collect the case from Surrey?
Chris[/quote]
Congratulations Chris! That's a beauty...

I had a go on CK's vintage 'Ray at the SE Bash and it was fantastic.. They do sound different to the later models IMO.

Of course, this means that you're now offically barred from buying/selling any basses on Basschat for about 5 minutes :huh:

Hi Chris, not really (I've got a nice big bike, but strapping a case to it might be a little too much!) haha.

I need one before the end of November (the 26th precisely), so if I can't grab it before then will buy another one - no worries!