Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Bass is this guy playing?

molan

Just been listening / watching some Prince & found this live version of Purple Rain & couldn't work out what bass his player had?

[url="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=27695321"]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=27695321[/url]

It looks like a slimmed down Jazz body but with an angled neck pickup. Not really in shot much but if you wind up to about 10 mins 45 secs theers one decent view of it then.

Looks kinda cool to me :)

And I love this song by the way :huh:

[quote name='molan' post='314289' date='Oct 25 2008, 12:30 AM']Just been listening / watching some Prince & found this live version of Purple Rain & couldn't work out what bass his player had?
.........snip[/quote]
Thats not just a bass player in the prince vid - thats Larry f***ing Graham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry was Prince's bass player for a while around 2000 along with Maceo Parker on Sax. Prince seemed intent on usurping James Brown as the Grandfather of Funk. :)

BTW, that clip is from Prince's Y2K DVD, one of my favourite performances which was held at Paisley Park to see in the Millenium New Year.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='314345' date='Oct 25 2008, 08:46 AM']That tash is awesome[/quote]

That's what I thought, the first time I tried to find a pic of Moon basses all I came up with was Larry Graham but this guy's tash swung it for me :)

[quote name='molan' post='314400' date='Oct 25 2008, 10:42 AM']That's what I thought, the first time I tried to find a pic of Moon basses all I came up with was Larry Graham but this guy's tash swung it for me :)[/quote]

That's Mike Watt from the Minutemen / fIREHOSE. It's weird seeing someone that scruffy with Larry Graham's pristine white bass. :huh: