Why become a member? ×

Wide necked Precisions?

Bridgehouse

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1490915203' post='3269106']
Quick update:

Saw a 50s classic advertised on here - black lacquer version. Went to try it today and bought it from a lovely BCer.

I can confirm that the neck profile is identical to my 64.

The maple feels a touch different, but not much. Frets are the same size.

It does sound different, but I expected that. All in all I would say neck feel is 95% the same as the 64, and sound is probably 80%

Very happy and now have a suitable muddy field bass ;)
[/quote]

Just out of interest, this model?

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-classic-series-50s-precision-bass-lacquer-black/113404?gclid=COeczv-igNMCFXEW0wodTtIAFw

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1490947223' post='3269215']

Just out of interest, this model?

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-classic-series-50s-precision-bass-lacquer-black/113404?gclid=COeczv-igNMCFXEW0wodTtIAFw

Si
[/quote]

Yes, that's the one. Mine is 2015 and used, and was half new price, well, a bit less.

Really pleased as it does a good impression of a preCBS.

I'm tempted to swap out the pickup, but it's fine for the moment.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1490953434' post='3269314']
Saw that bass. I still kick myself daily for passing one of those (although the non-lacquer version) up at £350 in crack converters Belfast a couple of years ago...
[/quote]

I'm a convert. Serious quality for the cash. I have also learned a lot about how maple and body wood affects tone.

Hi,

Having played and or had about every populair p bass config on the planet.
And owning a 1962 p bass with laminated board (one of the first) that has 'that' perfect feel to the neck you mentioned.

I'd say a JV 62p bass has the closest shape to a early 60s p bass.
If you get a real early one you might even have nitro on the neck aswell. Altho the later ones still have that great shape.
Strangely the 62 US reissues from 1982 to 2000's , the latest '63 one and even the Pino sig. CS do not quite get you there, nothing wrong with them ofcourse but still..

Being sort of in the same situation, as I don't play the 62 on gig's. I spent a great deal of time (years) getting a cheaper bass that was sort of on the same level in wheight playable and sound, which turned out to be incredibly hard!
Nothing quite did it.. Untill I played a JV 62.

In the end as I found out I love the b neck of my Tokai hardpuncher which is a more 70s style p bass and slighty shallower b neck, those are much cheaper as the JV's, it may not be your thing but it sure does the trick for me!
Actually can't recall paying so little and getting so much potential out of a bass as this thing, but maybe I got very lucky not sure...

Anyway just my 2 cents;) I have had the mex roadworn 50s p bass aswell which is essentially the same bass, was quite pleased with that one but I didn't keep it in the end:) but as you say great value for money for sure!

Edited by Brams77