Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Cheap Build

Jabba_the_gut

Managed to spend a few more hours on this so have completed a few routing jobs. First up was to tidy up the outline using the body template and a template cutter on the router. Then I made a simple template for the pickup and routed the pocket for that.

Then I needed to make templates for each one of the remaining cuts so I started making these from 8mm MDF. I need templates for the neck pocket, control cavity and for the cavity cover.

Stating the obvious, but the neck pocket needs to be accurate and aligned with the centre line of the bass so this aligns with the bridge. This really is the step where you measure twice and cut once!! I find it useful to have two rulers that lie down each edge of the neck in order to determine the alignment. The template needed a little repair as the bearing on the cutter worked loose during this and took off a little more than I wanted. MDF template can easily have strips of cardboard or veneer superglued and sanded to make small differences to the pocket sizes to get an accurate fit - you can see both on this neck pocket template.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

I used a rough template to make a neater one for cutting the control cavity.

The pocket has been cut to the depth of the wenge veneer.

The neck pocket has been cut and the neck sits quit nicely - I'm pleased with this. Just need to cut access to the truss rod.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1489917067' post='3260720']
Lovely work as usual Jabba. Will this one make it to the Mids Bass Bash?
[/quote]

Yep - even if it isn't complete I'll be bringing it along. Hopefully it will be working even if I haven't completed the finish.

Looking forward to the bash - be interested in seeing how you Tele is coming along.

Cheers

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1490014272' post='3261412']
Yep - even if it isn't complete I'll be bringing it along. Hopefully it will be working even if I haven't completed the finish.

Looking forward to the bash - be interested in seeing how you Tele is coming along.

Cheers
[/quote]

The back is dyed & has a coat of sanding sealer on it. Finish sanding of the front this evening, then hopefully that should be dyed soon too. I should get it finished, cured & polished in time for the Bash (fingers crossed!)

First pass at edge rounding done...I'm starting to like the look of this!

I add a block to the neck pocket to save anything from splitting whilst I'm doing this

And the back has had the first bit of rounding done.

Need to decide on shaping now back and front for arm and belly.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1490365844' post='3264643']
(and, assuming you've seen my amended thread, do NOT think about spraying it in a tent! :rolleyes: )
[/quote]

I'm confused 'cos I'm sure I replied to that thread but darned if I can find it now. Have you been moderated for excessive expletives? :D

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1490376966' post='3264767']
I'm confused 'cos I'm sure I replied to that thread but darned if I can find it now. Have you been moderated for excessive expletives? :D
[/quote]
No - I asked the mods to take it off.

I realised that, unless you went through all of the 'do's and dont's', then someone who didn't know the safety issues could get in a bit of a pickle. I'll post the reasons separately rather than hijacking Jez's fabulous build thread!

I've some fairly light shaping for arm and belly - I think this is enough so 'just' and overall sand required........

You can see the hole for the pickup wire quite easily on this picture. Where possible, I try to drill these in the wings before I glue them on. I find this easier then trying to aim a long drill later on. Takes a little more planning at first but when you have drilled through the body before in the wrong place with a long drill, you don't want to do it again!!

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Looking good Jez (as always) - I appreciate that the shaping isn't finished yet so I hope you find this constructive - I tend to think that the fewer angles the easier on the eye - so the angle of the headstock should complement the back of the body? Maybe give the headstock a bit more lean towards the "D" string tuner so it's almost parallel? Possibly lose a bit more of the veneer at the two volutes too which would suggest it actually slimmer than it really is? Maybe a bit off the top and bottom edges?

Love the grain - should look sweeet when it's sealed....