Why become a member? ×

MXR Blowtorch B**gered

captain black

Hello all,
Seems like I've commited the cardinal sin where these pedals are concerned and mistaken one power supply for another.
Result? A bit of a smell and the light stays on. The effect still works but with a really dirty signal.
Has anyone else done this?
Is it repairable or is my treasured Blowtorch now just a paperwieght?
I'm REALLY miffed about this!
Joe :)

[quote name='captain black' post='312307' date='Oct 22 2008, 05:05 PM']Hello all,
Seems like I've commited the cardinal sin where these pedals are concerned and mistaken one power supply for another.
Result? A bit of a smell and the light stays on. The effect still works but with a really dirty signal.
Has anyone else done this?
Is it repairable or is my treasured Blowtorch now just a paperwieght?
I'm REALLY miffed about this!
Joe :)[/quote]

I can't imagine the circuit will be that complicated. Probably just a blown component or two. Have you opened it up to look for scorch marks?

The only problem is that it's often not worth paying someone to repair effects since labour is so expensive.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='312333' date='Oct 22 2008, 05:32 PM']I can't imagine the circuit will be that complicated. Probably just a blown component or two. Have you opened it up to look for scorch marks?

The only problem is that it's often not worth paying someone to repair effects since labour is so expensive.[/quote]Most of the newer MXR, Dunlop, EH and many other modern pedals use surface-mount components, which make them unrepairable to the average tech... including me, I just don't have the equipment or techniques - or to be really honest, the inclination - to work on them.

From the symptoms it sounds worse than something simple like a fried protection diode, that would usually just leave it totally dead.

Try to find a tech who will at least open it and tell you if it's go or no go for free.

I don't thiink these have a diode for protection.
Will take it into a shop in town and hope for the best.
Cheers

[quote name='Thunderhead' post='312411' date='Oct 22 2008, 07:26 PM']Most of the newer MXR, Dunlop, EH and many other modern pedals use surface-mount components, which make them unrepairable to the average tech... including me, I just don't have the equipment or techniques - or to be really honest, the inclination - to work on them.

From the symptoms it sounds worse than something simple like a fried protection diode, that would usually just leave it totally dead.

Try to find a tech who will at least open it and tell you if it's go or no go for free.[/quote]

I’ve heard these are temperamental as f***, but sound good. I went down to HotRox in Notts last year to try one out and he had 3 in the shop that had been returned by customers that week and were waiting to be sent back to MXR. Apparently MXR were trying to say that it was a dodgy batch, but he just told me that they were really cheaply produced…

[quote name='mr pablo' post='312574' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:27 PM']Give martin owen a bell [url="http://www.owenelectronics.co.uk/9962.html"]Here[/url] he builds/fixes/mods and clones pedals could be that he could fix it for you[/quote]
Might give him a tinkle & see if he can have a look at my misbehaving Pearl Octaver...

[quote name='captain black' post='312483' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:38 PM']I don't thiink these have a diode for protection.[/quote]

they do. i repaired one that suffered a similar problem, only it would no longer turn on. believe it or not, it's probably the circuit that controls the led turning on and off with the footswitch...overcomplicated and poorly designed, when it fails the whole device is screwed due to the design. i ended up just cutting it out of the circuit and putting in a different design. no guarantees your problem is the same though.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='312599' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:57 PM']Apparently MXR were trying to say that it was a dodgy batch, but he just told me that they were really cheaply produced…[/quote]

poorly designed (in some areas) + cheaply produced. shame, because they can sound pretty good. :)

• 1 month later...

Sent the blowtorch to Martin and ITS FIXED! :)
Took a few weeks for bits to come from the USA but it's on its way back to me in good working order.
All for £25 delivered.
Nice bloke to talk to as well. Has a good looking couple of overdrive pedals of his own making and does Mods
(will probably try his Bass Bomb Driver when flush).
Well chuffed.
Thanks for the tip Mr Pablo.
Joe

this has happened to me sooo many times, because in my country (philippines) we have 220 volts going while most of the american and european pedals are made for 100-110volts.

what i learned is that you arent screwed if none of the main IC's of your pedal is fried, and you can easily replace those burnt stuff with basic stuff from the radio shack.

last pedal i burnt was a Carl Martin Contour and Boost and my friend just replaced the power supply and converted it to our local 220v current. the bad thing? he broke one of the knobs and i am still waiting for a 5K pot to be available in the radio shack *lol*

-*-

CB:

glad your pedal is ok now

Edited by IncX