Why become a member? ×

Zoom Preset Effects

Hobbayne

I have been tinkering with some of the preset settings on a recently acquired Zoom B1. Some of them have quite a good sound. There is a couple of overdriven ones which I quite like, but the sound is quite muddy. I take it these presets have the EQ build in to them to achieve the sound.
How do I set my amp to get the best out of these? I guess I have to set it all flat??

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1488496699' post='3249560']
You can edit the patches and then save them to the "user" section. Setting your amp flat will then give you least colour but if you like your amp's usual settings, edit the patches to suit.
[/quote]

That should work.

However, I'm a pedal guy (TC Electronics & MRX). I'm still not sold on multi effects processors for bass/live performance. Even the newer units don't have the mojo of good pedals IMO.

For recording and at home use you should be fine.

Blue

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1488496699' post='3249560']
You can edit the patches and then save them to the "user" section. Setting your amp flat will then give you least colour but if you like your amp's usual settings, edit the patches to suit.
[/quote]

I read this a couple of times and think it needs some expansion.

Once you have the patches in the user area you can edit the actual eq setting within that patch.

I've not used the B1 but have the old zoom506. The built in effects tend to have things like eq and reverb added that make it sound really good through headphones but don't work very well in a band setting.

I would copy across, make a note of all the values and then delete things like reverb and eq (if you can) then rest in a band situation. YMMV.

Edited by TimR

I had the zoom bfx708 for many years, now just the old 506 for home practice. However, I haven't used my fretless a lot recently with the band so took it out with my zoom instead of my full pedal board. I'd say you need to watch out for volume jumps between patches, but if like me you just can't get your head around editing the damn thing just keep the amp flat-ish, worked a treat for me at rehearsal. Then again I was playing through an amp that I'll never like so I don't mess about with it.