Why become a member? ×

Couriers - who's responsible ?

fleabag

[quote name='spyder' timestamp='1487758436' post='3242435']

[b]Even with photo evidence of the pickup you are opening yourself up for the scam. [/b]
[b]He can still put a claim against you.... Paypal will ask for the tracking and you can't provided it. They will refund the buyer.[/b]
[b]Please be aware of this.[/b]
[/quote]

I got scammed once on ebay by sending an item. I had the tracking number and a signature from the right address. Paypal said I could not prove that the person who signed for it was the person I sold it to and refunded their money. The courier would not pay out the insurance as they had proof of delivery.

Sellers seem to have no protection at all and are reliant on the honesty of the buyer.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1487855367' post='3243552']
Messaged you through Ebay? Surely you could produce that as evidence of what happened.
[/quote]

eBay weren't interested. I spoke to them in person and a message 'offering' to organise a courier was no defense.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1487863759' post='3243707']
Also, when bidders win anything, their address comes throught the system too.

What he did was fraud. If the police cant help, then you need to visit the bloke and have a word in his ear
[/quote]

I requested his address (only a postcode comes through when you win) and I'll get my money back when I'm in his area... people on the end of a computer seem to think they are removed/immune from what they do. BTW Police couldn't act. very sympathetic but as they pointed out, it is the kind of crime that is almost impossible to prove and though details were taken it isn't viable (money/resources) to try and bring a prosecution.

Warwick, you said he sent you a PP payment. You will have his address in full if PP was used to send the money

I do hope you follow it up. I hate these type of scumbags, as we all do i guess. I want to see you get your money back by any means you deem fit

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1487869081' post='3243769']
Warwick, you said he sent you a PP payment. You will have his address in full if PP was used to send the money

I do hope you follow it up. I hate these type of scumbags, as we all do i guess. I want to see you get your money back by any means you deem fit
[/quote]

In the heat of the moment you do the first thing that comes to mind rather than being logical; I requested through ebay as it was the first thought I had, yes I probably did have his address on numerous other related docs. This wasn't for a bass btw and the value was less than £100 (had it been a bass worth a bit I'd have jumped in the car). Not worth spending more in diesel and time than the sum is worth but I have a long memory and at some point this year I'm sure to be visiting/passing near him and I'll pop in and say 'Hi' or leave a card saying I visited.

If you're going to the hassle of packing up the bass for a courier anyway you might as well take responsibility for booking the courier too---that way you can pick a reputable company and arrange a time and place that suits you for it to be picked up. You also lessen the risk of the classic paypal not received scam.

As a buyer, if the seller says "you can arrange your own courier but I'm washing my hands of all responsibility" then that's a massive red flag to me. The seller is the one that has to pack it up securely: if they're not going to take responsibility for its safe arrival then frankly I don't trust them to do a good job packing it. I avoid these sellers and will take my money elsewhere.

So as a seller: either ship it yourself or don't ship it full stop. Shipping it and shifting responsibility for its safe arrival onto someone else is a nonsense.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1487870828' post='3243788']
If you're going to the hassle of packing up the bass for a courier anyway you might as well take responsibility for booking the courier too---that way you can pick a reputable company and arrange a time and place that suits you for it to be picked up. You also lessen the risk of the classic paypal not received scam.

As a buyer, if the seller says "you can arrange your own courier but I'm washing my hands of all responsibility" then that's a massive red flag to me. The seller is the one that has to pack it up securely: if they're not going to take responsibility for its safe arrival then frankly I don't trust them to do a good job packing it. I avoid these sellers and will take my money elsewhere.

So as a seller: either ship it yourself or don't ship it full stop. Shipping it and shifting responsibility for its safe arrival onto someone else is a nonsense.
[/quote]
Well said, Sir.

As I see it, if a seller can't be arsed to spend 5 mins on a PC to book a courier I wouldn't trust him to pack a bass enough to avoid damage.

There's always another bass... I'd go find another one,