Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Fender USA Precision Special California Series PJ candy apple red, rosewood jazz-width neck
£450

Quatschmacher

Bought this a couple of years ago and love it (apart from the colour, so I've bought an American Standard PJ). I had Jon Shuker set it up, dress the frets and fit a Gotoh bridge. (The original is included but is sh*te.)

[b][size=6]38mm nut![/size][/b]

~4.2kg

In great cosmetic condition, just one minuscule paint chip that only goes to the undercoat. The truss rod is functional but not perfect. I took it to Jon worried that the adjusting nut had been stripped but it turned out I was using a metric hex key and Fenders are imperial. Once he gave me the right size key it worked fine. Not sure it'll go super low with really heavy gauge strings though. It's currently strung with Chromes 50-105 and medium-low.

All passive, controls are VVT. All original (except the bridge).

Comes with the Hiscox case pictured.

Collection preferred, but I will post. I'm in Sheffield, but could probably bring to London and combine with a visit to friends if you pay the train fare.

Would ship in a box measuring 20x55x140cm and would weigh 15kg or so. I'm guessing postage would be £25-30 but will defer to those in the know.

The only trades I'd consider would be:

Fender American standard fretless in sunburst or white (if someone has swapped bodies), preferably with custom shop pickups, but I like the older S-1 variation too.

Fender deluxe jazz white or sunburst, rosewood only (the model immediately prior to the Elite model).

Fender 70s jazz reissue, MIA or MIJ, natural or white, rosewood neck preferred, white blocks only.

American standard Precision with a rosewood jazz neck in Olympic white only (with custom shop pickups).

Musicman Stingray SLO special, honeyburst, natural or white, rosewood neck, single H 2 or 3 EQ.

Edited by Quatschmacher

The following sums up most of the anecdotal references to this short lived series.
They were replaced by the equally excellent (imo) Precision Bass Special Deluxe Series.
The bass should have an AMXN serial number.

"No strings through the body. Vintage bridge. The bodies are american alder, neck is maple with the skunk stripe and all-american jazz width. And yes it does say "made in U.S.A."
The only mexican influence in these according to Fender is that the bodies were sent there to paint (less environmental laws) and then sent back to Cali to be assembled with vintage series pickups and hardware. Pick guard is anodized aluminum."

Great rep amongst those who have had them. The rosewood board models rarely come up.

Edited by karlfer