Why become a member? ×

Gorgeous 58 Precision

Roger2611

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1485695996' post='3225837']
Wow. I'd go for it - if I was loaded. Instead, I saved myself at least eight grand and bought a Road Worn.

Edit: I see you did as well. ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, the roadworn is fantastic as a deliberately reliced bass but it is still a reliced bass with a craftsman making it look old not genuine wear caused by years of love and gigging, given the spare cash I would have this one in a heartbeat whereas I am actually thinking of trading the roadworn out and sticking with my 50's classic and getting that nice and worn through years of gigging and love

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1485697869' post='3225856']
Yeah, the roadworn is fantastic as a deliberately reliced bass but it is still a reliced bass with a craftsman making it look old not genuine wear caused by years of love and gigging, given the spare cash I would have this one in a heartbeat whereas I am actually thinking of trading the roadworn out and sticking with my 50's classic and getting that nice and worn through years of gigging and love
[/quote]

All that love and wear won't make a lot of difference to the overall sound though, in my opinion. I had a 76 P which I bought in 76 and played for many decades. Sounded great, looked great, went all creamy, had genuine wear etc etc. but this didn't make much difference to how it sounded from new. The Road Worns are really great and in my view vastly underrated instruments and I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference between one and a genuine late 50s P, all other things being equal.

Any difference in tone will be marginal and I really don't think it's an extra eight grands's worth. My opinion, of course. And I do realise that playing basses and collecting them are two different (but not mutually exclusive) activities.

The visual 'relic' aspect of the Road Worn basses is a red herring and largely irrelevant in my view. The important point is that they have a sound and a playability that the 50s Classic instruments do not have. They are the closest you are going to get to a genuine vintage P for £600 second-hand and are still a bargain at retail.

Having said all that, if I were seriously loaded I'd have late 50s and early 60s P basses, 60s and 70s Jazz basses, 70s SVT rigs and 60s B15s coming out of my arse and cluttering up my many houses! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1485700661' post='3225898']
All that love and wear won't make a lot of difference to the overall sound though, in my opinion. I had a 76 P which I bought in 76 and played for many decades. Sounded great, looked great, went all creamy, had genuine wear etc etc. but this didn't make much difference to how it sounded from new. The Road Worns are really great and in my view vastly underrated instruments and I'd challenge anyone to tell the difference between one and a genuine late 50s P, all other things being equal.

Any difference in tone will be marginal and I really don't think it's an extra eight grands's worth. My opinion, of course. And I do realise that playing basses and collecting them are two different (but not mutually exclusive) activities.

The visual 'relic' aspect of the Road Worn basses is a red herring and largely irrelevant in my view. The important point is that they have a sound and a playability that the 50s Classic instruments do not have. They are the closest you are going to get to a genuine vintage P for £600 second-hand and are still a bargain at retail.

Having said all that, if I were seriously loaded I'd have late 50s and early 60s P basses, 60s and 70s Jazz basses, 70s SVT rigs and 60s B15s coming out of my arse and cluttering up my many houses! :D
[/quote]

I think you are entirely correct, and yes, the roadworn's are definitely underrated, I don't know, somehow they just feel like cheating to me :unsure:

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1485720368' post='3226132']
I think you are entirely correct, and yes, the roadworn's are definitely underrated, I don't know, somehow they just feel like cheating to me :unsure:
[/quote]

There was a long thread on the 'cheating' topic on TalkBass when the Road Worns first appeared. It took a good few pages before anyone actually asked what they played or sounded like.

I have no issues with a relic, if it's done well. In any case I bought a new Fender and played it for 40 years, so I reckon I've paid my dues.

It's simply a question of logistics. If I did it all over again I'd be 97 by the time the bass looked authentically 'cool'. And of course I would not... ;)

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1485697869' post='3225856']
[/quote]

If you decide to sell the Roadworn let me know!

I think its a bit overpriced considering that its fairly beaten and has raised pole pieces. That is of course completely original but means if you are going to record or perform with its its going to have a dominant A & D strings. Personally If its something I were going to keep at home, get out of the box and put back when I felt happy, I'd want a better condition. however, beauty is in the eye and the ear of the beholder.