Why become a member? ×

Thicker strings to change feel of neck?

therealting

So my Ibanez SRFF806 doesn't seem to be moving at the moment, and it got me thinking: pretty much the only thing I don't love about it is that the neck is too slim and is causing my hands to cramp up when playing it. The spacing is great, it's not heavy, I like the way it looks and sounds.

So I had a thought - what if I put some big strings on it? I don't necessarily mean heavier, I've been thinking of trying some tapewounds like the La Bella Gold White Nylon Tapewounds. They're quite a bit thicker, and I like flatwounds anyway (I have them on all my P basses). Logic seems to dictate that it will make the neck feel thicker to my hands and fingers.

To the people who have done this - does it work out in practice?

I agree it won't help. It might be that you are applying unnecessary pressure with your fretting fingers? It's amazing how little force is actually needed.

I find that the more I dig in with my plucking hand the greater the force I apply with the fretting hand. I've solved my own fretting discomfort issues by increasing my volume. I have to be more gentle with plucking and that transfers to my fretting hand.

Of course this may not be the case with yourself :D

Is this a physical issue, as above - technique or maybe high action and pressure required left hand, or you have fallen out of love with your bass and hand issues have convinced you a change is required.
My only advice would be get another bass player friend to look at the set up action does this need attention. Now for La Bella white nylons, I have just put these on my Status electro having had the blacks on for a year or more. These are great strings and did make a real difference to my bass but make sure the action is low so the tension and compression in the neck from bridge to nut is under control, i believe these made the bass sound better. If the action is wrong too high the neck will bend and take all the strain and sound and action will be even worse. This goes for any type of string but more important with heavy higher tension sets.

Thanks for the input guys. I have quite a few basses and don't have cramp issues on the others (Dingwall Super P5, Dingwall Super J5, Sadowsky MV4, Fender 56 P, Fender 61 P, Yamaha TRB6, etc) even for long sets, and this one is set up really well - it's actually very easy to play, I just find it tiring for my hands.

It's an SRFF806 and Dave Swift loves his so it's not a problematic bass, perhaps it just doesn't suit my particular digits. Shame ):

Edited by therealting

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1485102509' post='3221110']
Thanks for the input guys. I have quite a few basses and don't have cramp issues on the others (Dingwall Super P5, Dingwall Super J5, Sadowsky MV4, Fender 56 P, Fender 61 P, Yamaha TRB6, etc) even for long sets, and this one is set up really well - it's actually very easy to play, I just find it tiring for my hands.

It's an SRFF806 and Dave Swift loves his so it's not a problematic bass, perhaps it just doesn't suit my particular digits. Shame ):
[/quote]

As you say, a neck issue, apologies for the sucking eggs above.

Peter

No apology necessary! It's hard to know when people ask questions like this whether they are experienced or newbies.

My warped logic is that a thicker string such as a tapewounds would mean that the gap between my thumb and finger is bigger, and would therefore feel more similar to a thicker neck. I know it's only fractions, but such are the margins in feel between thin and medium necks for example.

I know I had an acoustic neck refretted with jumbo frets and the difference in feel was HUGE.

"Feel" is quite a difficult thing to quantify. From my own experience, I bought an EBMM Sterling that was strung with slightly lighter strings than I usually used and it didn't "feel" right- it too felt quite cramped. Changing to my regular gauge (45-105) made a surprisingly big difference.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1485114158' post='3221248']
"Feel" is quite a difficult thing to quantify. From my own experience, I bought an EBMM Sterling that was strung with slightly lighter strings than I usually used and it didn't "feel" right- it too felt quite cramped. Changing to my regular gauge (45-105) made a surprisingly big difference.
[/quote]

That's what I'm wondering myself.