Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder - Opinions please!

GarethFlatlands

I used to have a Thunder III Mk2 (Soapbar p/ups) Unlined Fretless 4 - and it was one terrific bass.

The Pre is odd but very effective. Active/passive with treble roll-off in passive plus a switch that put each pup in series/parallel.

(I think there was 1 x P-Type and 1 x two spool humbucker in the soapbar shells).

It was superbly built & put together. I let it go because I play 5s these days, but highly recommended none the less.

G.

I have the same model as geoffbyrne (Thunder III Mk2 fretless 4) and previously owned the fretted version.

This bass is the one I will be keeping hold of permanently. Others may come and go, not this one.

That, and the fact I wish I had never sold the fretted one I had, probably tells you all you need to know about my thoughts on Westone basses.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484408905' post='3215281']
I had two or more of these in the 80s and don't remember any neck dive. I would have noticed, as I was careful to avoid a re-learning the lesson of my Guild B301 which was VERY neck heavy.

I bought a Thunder 1 on here 3 or 4 years ago for £100, kept it a few months then re-sold it for what I paid, nice enough basses in their day and when money was tight, but it wasn't up to the standard of the Fenders I use now.
[/quote]I had a Thunder 1A for years and the neck was better than any Fender I have tried, except my current Aerodyne. I guess it is whatever floats your boat.

For its time the pre-Amp was also great.

Edited by Chienmortbb