Why become a member? ×

International Pop Overthrow festival, Liverpool

MoonBassAlpha

Our band leader can get us on there apparently.
What are people's experience of the event, and the Cavern club generally?
In my opinion, it's a long way to go (from Oxford) just to play a short set, with probably an overnight stay and unlikely prospect of much remuneration, if any.
Caveat: leader is a massive Beatles fan, so playing the Cavern would mean a lot to him.
C'mon folks, sell it to me!

I've played this festival lots of times. Firstly, never been paid or sold much merch etc... you usually get to play two sets across two venues... decent crowd as its all free entry and plenty of music types and walk up punters about. The standard of bands is generally pretty decent and some are outstanding.

My advice is to treat it as my band does. Boys jolly away from wives and young children, a few drinks, a couple of shows and a good hang in a vibrant city with musicians and cool musical history everywhere. Have also made good friends with musicians from all around the world from Spain to Japan... have fun! But don't expect to make money!

Should just add I've only ever played weekends so can't vouch for week nights but knowing the Matthew street area of Liverpool I can't imagine it would be quiet...

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1484416095' post='3215353']
Hate to be the party pooper but didn't the original cavern shut down years ago and this one is just a tourist attraction?
[/quote]

Strictly speaking yes. The original was knocked down ages ago and made into a car park. The current one is the near the old site (maybe even next door?)and hence the same style of archictecture. So, it does look very much like the original.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1484572315' post='3216380']
I also meant to ask - do they provide backline for this festival? It would make a lot of sense with so many bands on.
I'm gradually coming round to the idea...
[/quote]

Don't know about the festival but when we did it I hopped on a train with my bass and a lead as everything was provided inc' engineer.

Les