Why become a member? ×

Who sell decent bass bodies in UK

Harryburke14

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1483348684' post='3206312']

The veneer has no real structural strength at all. If you chambered from the top, you would need to cover it - a bit like a control chamber cover - and then veneer over that. It is probably how we will tackle this one. I'll be doing a thread on the progress so you'll be able to see how it all pans out. Quite often, on projects like this, decisions need to be made on the hoof, so it will be interesting how close the final method is to the present thoughts.
[/quote]

A full build diary just for me? I feel all VIP

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483353252' post='3206372']
A full build diary just for me? I feel all VIP
[/quote]
ALL the people I do jobs for are VIP's :lol:

There are a lot of if's and but's involved, but this is the veneer that Harry and I are focusing in on:

....in this colour :D :

Assuming all goes to plan, it should look absolutely splendid!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1483368697' post='3206555']
I'd turn it around personally. It would be a shame to hide all that beautiful grain.
[/quote]
I know where you're coming from, Mick, but actually you lose most of it that way round, including the starburst (the fretboard would cover the centre of the burst):

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1483348684' post='3206312']
The veneer has no real structural strength at all. If you chambered from the top, you would need to cover it - a bit like a control chamber cover - and then veneer over that. It is probably how we will tackle this one. I'll be doing a thread on the progress so you'll be able to see how it all pans out. Quite often, on projects like this, decisions need to be made on the hoof, so it will be interesting how close the final method is to the present thoughts.
[/quote]Ah of course...makes perfect sense now :)
...i'm looking forward to watching this progress ,that grain in the red finish will look amazing !

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1483369485' post='3206578']
I know where you're coming from, Mick, but actually you lose most of it that way round, including the starburst (the fretboard would cover the centre of the burst):

[/quote]
I'd keep it natural colour if it were me. But I'm not a lover of Technicolour wood. But it's not my bass. Good luck.

Actually, if that's the veneer, I'd do some tests first. I can imagine that if you colour thst veneer you might not see much detail. There's not a lot of contrast. The beauty is in the subtle shades.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1483392494' post='3206848']
I think the red is gorgeous. Having seen some of the other outcomes I think this will be another killer.
[/quote]

Ive barked a lot of orders at Andy so far but I know for sure this will turn out gorgeous. Its going to look like a completely new bass from what Ive seen so far.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1483366834' post='3206529']

[/quote]
I've done a dye test on the veneer, Grangur, and the figuring actually shows through surprisingly well. Fully understand that dyeing nice wood figuring is a bit of a Marmite issue but I'm pretty sure this can be done 'sympathetically' :)

Those veneer jobs are really nice!

For the OP's HB, I'd have to question whether it's worth a lot of money spending on it. If the chip is on the black bit of a sunburst finish, it could just be filled with a dark resin and be pretty much unnoticeable if done right.

There seem to be two bare wood guitar body sellers on ebay: guitarbuild https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/ and someone who is selling seconds (might be guitabuild ones?). I've just built a Partscaster using one of the seconds made from Paulownia wood, which is really light; I coloured it with some dark oak stain from Homebase and oversprayed it with some matt lacquer - it looks really good!

Back to the HB - is it solid or ply? if it's ply, then stripping it back will be a bit disappointing.

Best of luck, anyway.

(And did I mention that those veneer jobs are nice?)

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1483905763' post='3211048']
Those veneer jobs are really nice!

For the OP's HB, I'd have to question whether it's worth a lot of money spending on it. If the chip is on the black bit of a sunburst finish, it could just be filled with a dark resin and be pretty much unnoticeable if done right.

There seem to be two bare wood guitar body sellers on ebay: guitarbuild https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/ and someone who is selling seconds (might be guitabuild ones?). I've just built a Partscaster using one of the seconds made from Paulownia wood, which is really light; I coloured it with some dark oak stain from Homebase and oversprayed it with some matt lacquer - it looks really good!

Back to the HB - is it solid or ply? if it's ply, then stripping it back will be a bit disappointing.

Best of luck, anyway.

(And did I mention that those veneer jobs are nice?)
[/quote]

For me, the money being spent on it is definitely worth it. I am getting a custom made, personalised bass to my spec built by a master craftsman at a very low price. Should all go to plan, this will be my number one bass for as long as I can play.

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483910624' post='3211116']
For me, the money being spent on it is definitely worth it. I am getting a custom made, personalised bass to my spec built by a master craftsman at a very low price. Should all go to plan, this will be my number one bass for as long as I can play.
[/quote]
I'd say you are getting a (very) nice looking bass, certainly.