Why become a member? ×

I'm being given a beautiful Yamaha Clavinova CLP piano.

bubinga5

In fact it's my dad's and he never uses it.He was once the Musical director for Hastings orchestra in New Zealand and he wanted to start playing in a hobbie type of way as he got older but he never touches it. It's a Yamaha Clavinova CLP 585. I believe he paid £3.250 for it and he's played it a few times.. He would like me to continue my piano practice and I do love playing, but GAS has me by the balls. The thing is my dream bass is a Pensa a bit like this one. Of course I will consult with him about my GAS feelings. What 5 string super jazz. I'm pretty sold on Rudy,s jazz basses. But the only bass that would sway me is a Celinder. Of course I'm talking used and I only really play 5 or 6 strings now. But Rudy has some supreme used 5 strings available. And Christian doesnt.Basically what I'm doing is being a 41 year old man in a candy store.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1482685048' post='3202210']
Hmmm... "...He would like me to continue my piano practice and I do love playing..." My thought FWIW is there are a load great basses out there that you could save up for. There's only one Piano your dad gave you...
[/quote]I should have put that differently. I like playing piano but I don't see myself making good use of such an instrument.

The question is, how much does giving you the Piano mean to your dad. Is he giving you a bit of unused stuff (in which case realise the value and hit the marketplace)? Or is he giving you something special to him as a gesture of his love for you, in which case turning round and asking him, "Great, how much can I flog it for?" could seem a touch callous. From your description the gift sounds a bit more like the latter.

Also, ask yourself, is the Pensa or Celinder THE BASS you will play for the rest of your life, or just another piece of future marketplace fodder? Then, depending on the answer you are maybe in the territory of "Gee Dad, now I can afford to buy the bass I have always dreamed of owning...!" But be honest, ruthlessly honest, about that question because if he is in the territory of scenario two above and you've moved the bass on in a couple of years...

To me, and I hope you don't mind if Im honest, I would find it difficult to sell something that was given as a gift with the express wish of actually using it by the giver rather than a means to an end to buy yet another bass. Your dad might not mind (after all you know him better than anyone here!), but Id always be wondering a little bit in the back of my mind if he wasn't just a little bit hurt. Hope this causes no offence, just my tuppence worth. :)

Absolutely agree with the above sentiments. Earlier this year a very close friend died and left me one of his guitars. I already had the same guitar and much porefer mine over his, but would never ever sell his. You really do need to check verythoroughly with your Dad as to what his feelings would be if you sond the Clavinova.